preventative hysterectomy

age 51, colposcopy next week as smear has shown cell changes and hpv. Strong family history of gynae cancers. mum died of cervical cancer. I want to have a hysterectomy as a preventative measure. Has anyone experience of this? Dont know how willing surgeons will be to do it.

hi J:

I don't see why you couldn't ask.

If the results of your colposcopy show medium/high changes then the doctor will offer you treatment, with a 6 month follow up. If the follow up shows changes again, I think you could make a good argument for having a hysterectomy, especially with your family history.

From what I've read, cervical cancer is not hereditary, but the risk factors - such as the body's ability to fight off HPV -can be.

Good luck

t

Hi Jacqueline

Slightly different story, but my mum-in-law did ask for a hysterectomy at around your age and they were quite happy to do it. In her case, the reason was an ovarian cyst, which she needed to have removed anyway. She had, however, had a long history of abnormal smears, as had most of her sisters. One of her sisters also had an ovarian cyst removed and then ended up having a  hysterectomy a couple of years later due to persistent abnormal smear issues.

On the basis of hers and female family members' history, she asked if she could just get is all over with in one op, and her doctor was fine with that.

I reckon if you discuss it with your consultant, they will probably be OK with doing it.

Best  of luck

E

PS mum-in-law says she hasn't regretted it for a moment, no more 'womens problems' to worry about for the last 10 years or so!

Hello

I had a preventative hysterectomy in February after all other alternatives had been done like cone biopsy etc. 

For me they spoke about it quite early on as a was incredibly high risk and the hpv kept coming back. I think they were gently introducing me to the idea and after 3 years I think I was ready.

6 months on and I'm feeling pretty good and glad I made that decision. I have my next check in September and I'm hoping I get the all clear as I have no idea what happens next.

Personally I'm glad I went through all the other treatments first and I'm glad it wasn't too much of a shock. Sometimes I think it would have been so less stressful if I had it straight away but I think my consultant wanted to make sure I was 100% comfortable with the idea.

It may be worth exploring different options and discussing this with your consultant as it is a fairly major op.

Good luck