(New) Requesting a Hysterectomy

I've just been referred for my second colposcopy.  

Am am thinking of asking for a hysterectomy, is this a bit extreme?  I am 37 years old, have been married for 16 years and have 3 children of 14, 10 and 8.  My family is complete so I feel a hysterectomy would remove the worry of the HPV and possibility of cervical cancer.

Anyone else feel the same or requested a hysterectomy for the same reasons?

Thanks for reading

HI,

Just wanted to respond to your post, i have just this week seen my consultant and asked for a hysterectomy i have had abnormal smears for 10 years had so many colposcopy lost count! also had biopsy and 3 LEETZ procedures , ive just kept going back and except what they said but ive now had enough now and they understood and agreed with me that a hysterectomy was the right way forward im just waiting for scan appointment then i will be given a date for my hysterectomy . If you feel this is the right way to go for you then i would ask them i just wish i would have asked earlier.

Let me know how you get on .

Jackie x

Hi Bexcee,

Looking at your history it looks like your smear was normal but there was HPV present. The colpscopy will show if there is anything else, but hopefully it just means that your body is taking a little longer to clear the HPV (which can happen).

It's important to talk to your doctor about hysterectomy if it's a question in your mind. What I would say is that it's not necessarily a straightforward opinion. My consultant was very frank and told me it's not a cure as the cells could still become abnormal in the vagina (VAIN insted of CIN), which is all a nightmare really as I don't feel it would be over if I had a hysterctomy. You'd have to have vaginal vault smears after a hysterectomy. Probably the doctor wouldn't look at this point for you but rather see what happens, however it's important you speak to them. It's a major op and not something to rushed into without serious discussion and there being a clinical need. 

The whole abnormalities situation is so difficult and stressful to live with, especially when you don't get the result you hope for after treatment. I wish there was a magic wand but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be, and everyone has to to do what's right for them, with the guidance of their doctor.  So do talk it through, and let us know how you get on. 

I wish you all the best for your colposcopy.

Do consider weighing the risks of a hysterectomy vs the benefits esp if any of your kids were born by cesarean as thia can make the surgery more complex and risky (bladder damage etc).  I had v early cc and for now have opted not to have hysterectomy. 

If you have a history of recurring serious abnormalities and have had 2-3 lletz plus then they will consider a hysterectomy.