Persistent HPV and missed smear

Hello I am new here and just wondered if anyone has any advice. Many years ago i had a bad experience with a smear test, i was also not in a good place in my personal life and i stupidly missed my next two smear tests. My last smear was in 2012 it was negative for HPV and no abnormal cells. I eventually had another smear in 2021 i had no abnormal cells but postive HPV, i had to have another smear in 2022 still HPV postive no abnormal cells, again in 2023 HPV postive no abnormal cells. I am now being sent for a colposcopy for futher investigations. I have a few questions that i cant find the answer too, i am worried that because i missed two smears i could have already had abnormal cells and they have already turned into cancer, would my results show i had abnormal cells if this was the case? I am worried i could have had HPV for many years. Also does anyone else have experience of persistant HPV as i cant find much info out there, i dont think i have a low immune sytem as i rarely get ill i eat healthy and a balanced diet, however i wasnt as healthy during the time i missed smear, im 40 years old and have had a healthy lifestyle for about 3 years. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Hi I would try not to worry too much I found this nhs training doc that might explain why you’ve been called in. I think it’s the protocol with persistent hpv with no abnormal cells to be invited in for a colpscopy just to double check things.

http://www.cytology-training.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Primary-HPV-Screening-Information-for-Sample-Takers.pdf

In the majority of cases there would be abnormal cells if there was anything bad going on, I think they like to double make sure just incase. Try not to be too hard on yourself for your past missed smears, your doing all the right things now that’s all that matters x

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply and kind words, that has made me feel a bit better. I will copy the link and give this a read. I know i am thinking about the worst case scenario, i will hopefully get some answers soon when my appointment comes through, ive read that only 10% of women have persistant HPV so was worried why my body hasnt cleared it too and if it will ever clear it however i only changed my lifetyle around two years ago (quit drinking alcohol) and balanced diet so maybe it might take time for body to adjust. Thanks again for the info and advice x

3 Likes

Hey lovely! I’ve had persistent HPV for 3 years, I’m not a medical professional but I’m sure if it’s picked up no abnormal cells that that’s a good sign! I had a colposcopy about 6 weeks ago, I thought it was just routine and when they took biopsies I felt physically sick thinking something was horribly wrong as they took 5! 3 weeks later results come back no abnormal cells, so try not to worry too much & I hope all goes well :heart:

3 Likes

Hello Thankyou for your reply I’ve only just come back on here. This is so reassuring to know. I had my colposcopy today, the nurse took a biopsy but told me she is almost certain that it doesn’t look like anything to be concerned about but wanted to make sure so i feel a bit better now. Thats great news yours came back clear! Finger’s crossed il have good news should find out in January :blush: x

Hey Eph
Did you get your results? Hope you’re doing okay and don’t be ashamed of missing smears they are very difficult for some people x

1 Like

Thanks for the reply im glad your colposcopy went ok. I had my colposcopy and biopsy the nurse that did it said she doesnt think any signs of cancer from looking, when my results came back it said my cervix was in flamed so i have to go back in 3 months to do another biopsy just to make sure i haven’t missed anything, it did on the letter i could have something called ungraded CIN which i think are pre cancerous cells but not fully sure at the moment, bit of a pain having to go back but hopefully they will get to the bottom of it next time x

Thank you!! I had my colposcopy and biopsy the nurse that did it said she doesnt think any signs of cancer from looking, when my results came back it said my cervix was in flamed so i have to go back in 3 months to do another biopsy just to make sure they haven’t missed anything, it did on the letter i could have something called ungraded CIN which i think are pre cancerous cells but not fully sure at the moment, it did reassure me that on my letter it said there was no suggestion of cancer bit of a pain having to go back but hopefully they will get to the bottom of it next time. The letter told me to have some vaginal swabs taken to make sure i don’t have an infection (hence the inflamed cervix) x

1 Like

I forgot to add the nurse said that persistant HPV is alot more common than what you think she said not to read things on the internet as its 25% to 30% of women with persistant HPV so that made me feel better as i thought it was much lower than that, she said it can go away after a while hopefully we will both be HPV clear soon x

1 Like

Glad to hear it went as well as it could :heart:

1 Like

Thankyou!

1 Like

It would be good for the forum if you can come back when you get your next results and update us but I know life gets busy x

Thanks yes i will do will be some time in March when i go again so should have results either march or April x

1 Like