Patiently waiting for colposcopy - trying to quiet the doubts

Hey there

9 months ago I had abnormal pap. I did my follow up 6 months later as advised and once again had abnormal results. I didn’t get a lot of information except that it was abnormal and then a standard letter in the mail. I have an appointment for a colposcopy on January 16th.

I have recently switched to a new dr who has been quite proactive. He was the one who performed my follow up pap. I had been complaining to my previous doctor about painful intercourse and debilitating period cramps. So now that I know of these abnormalities and the coming colposcopy I am more nervous. I have a low sitting cervix so I can easily feel it. I have always felt the odd bump on it but I am feeling numerous lumps on it, in different spots. It isn’t helping my nerves at all. My husband is trying to be supportive, especially the nights when insomnia hits. I try to tell myself that the odds are in my favour, but some nights it’s hard.

Anyone have advice on how to stop the waiting game from making you go crazy?

I am in a very similar situation to you - I had a low grade dyskaryosis and HPV positive result, because of the HPV I have a colposcopy on Jan 13th. I'm really struggling to cope with the nerves (plus, I finished my period on the 23rd but have been spotting ever since! WHY?!?!?!) but what I've found to help the most is distraction. It's a very intense, short period of time so it's difficult to learn proper coping mechanisms. I've downloaded some games onto my phone, have been watching all my favourite films, and when I can't sleep my boyfriend has been creating soothing little stories for me - sounds stupid but let me explain! We love the outdoors and hiking, so what he does is talk me through a hike somewhere beautiful, tells me to imagine the view, the way the air tastes, the colour of the rocks etc. Its a pretty common technique for anxiety but with your partner doing the 'work' for you by thinking it up, it allows your brain to really unwind ready for sleep. 

Good luck to you, I know its seriously hard. x