Painful Period after Colposcopy/Biopsies

Hi everyone. I had my colposcopy last Tuesday and they took 3 biopsies. I'm on the pill, so my period was due this weekend. Sure enough, it's 3am, and it hurts so much that I just woke up, and it's started. It probably doesn't help that I ran 3 packs together (I usually run 2 together and have a break).

I was kind of expecting the cramps to be worse following the colposcopy, but just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? Guess I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself :( I've taken 2 ibuprofen and I've got my hot water bottle, so I'm hoping I can get to sleep for a few more hours and wake up feeling a bit better...

Hello Cara.  Yes, I’m in the same boat!  Miserable isn’t it?

just received a kind response to my post that some women can experience more discomfort.

She advises to get back to the GP for something a little stronger - they won’t mind in the slightest.

hope you start to feel better and good luck for the results.

Hi,

I had my LLETZ treatment on the 7th June (1 week ago) and I am expecting my first period any day now. I’ve got some cramping but I’ve had that nearly everyday since, and still a lot of discharge (tmi sorry) but I am slightly anxious about how heavy my period might be. I’m not normally too heavy as I am on the pill, but the cramping is getting worse. Ive also had terrible diahorrhea since the procedure. Anyone feeling or had the same? 

Thanks Xx 

Hi ya- I’m new to this, but I too had my loop and biopsy 4 weeks ago, last wed had my monthly and I’ve never experienced anything like it, it’s been really heavy, day three and I was changing my protection every 20 minutes. Saturday I was losing a great deal of blood and clots, I went to a&e I assumed this heavy bleed was due to my biopsy but I was told otherwise, it’s nothing to do with the treatment so now on top of the anxiety of this ordeal I’m also stressed out that there is something further wrong with me. I have an ultrasound scan booked for nxt week.

smear results cin2 biopsy results cin2 and 3 with traces of cgin. Clear margins 

Hi everyone - thanks for your responses. I'm still waiting to hear back from my biopsies, but I just finished my period. It was far more painful than usual, but no more blood than usual. Was able to function well taking regular paracetamol/ibuprofen. Really think they should warn for the possibility of a more painful period at the colposcopy! 

Catania - good luck for the ultrasound. That sounds super scary but you are in good hands. Please keep us updated!