Pain in groin and right leg after rad hysterectomy

Hi

I had radical hysterectomy with lymph node dissection, and removal of one ovary 4 weeks ago now.

When I first came out of hospital I really struggled with a stiff right leg couldnt hardly lift it, this eased after a few weeks, but 3 days ago I had quite alot of pain in my groin and leg and the right side of my pubic area.

If feelsa bit like a dead leg but painful and feels tight.

Has anyone else suffered this? I keep seeing it can be nerve damage or lymphatic fluid gone hard or something?

any help would be appreciated!I was feeling quite good until this startedand feel like my recovery has gone backwards/

Hi

It's really common after this operation so don't worry. I remember having to physically lift my right leg to get into the car and going upstairs was a challenge for the first couple of weeks. It does get better and you'll improve as the weeks go on. At my first 3 monthly follow up I told my consultant who explained that during the op they get very close to nerves and tendons in your groin which causes this. It must have taken almost four weeks to be able lift my right leg normally. You'll be fine, just give yourself plenty of time x

Hi Hyran,

I had exactly the same as you've described, the inside of my right leg felt paralysed after surgery.  The feeling gradually went away and my strength was regained, but it was some months before I was able to drive safely.  I went to a physio for advice; she was very encouraging and gave me useful exercises to build up the muscle.  Try not to be impatient (difficult I know) and don't worry too much about lymphedema (also difficult).  I was diagnosed with that about 5 months post surgery, but in the other leg!  It's not the end of the world, it's a drag but manageable.  Anyway, you'll probably not get it, most people don't.  Good luck and try to be patient. x  

Thanks for replying. My leg was like that when I came home having to lift it etc but that went away. 

I'm kind of thinking I have overdone it doing too much on the days I feel good.

I have the doc's tomorrow just to see if I can have something to help with the pain and just to check it feels like someone is twanging an elastic band in there!

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. They never tell you what to expect afterwards it's all your own guess work which scares the life out of you!

I might speak to my nurse about physio etc thank you see if that might help. I've been massaging round there myself just to ease it x

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. They never tell you what to expect afterwards it's all your own guess work which scares the life out of you!

I might speak to my nurse about physio etc thank you see if that might help. I've been massaging round there myself just to ease it x

I’m 5 weeks post radical hysterectomy and still my right thigh is numb.  I tried to run to catch my child today and it still hurts.  My post op check said it was normal. The feeling may or may it come back fully.  Will see.  I’ve started slowely at the gym to see if it helps get the feeling back at all.   Hope this helps. X