Not wanting colpo

Hi everyone. I’m B. Im 30 years old. One partner (my fiancé) HPV 16 as I discovered when I had my first pap done in 2018. My second pap last month was done. Took three weeks for my doctors office to get back to me (I had to call multiple times) and was told results were abnormal. The doctor didn’t even talk to me and I had no explanation of how it was abnormal. The person told me too “you need a colpo and I called your insurance and it should cover most of it.” Which made me feel weird. She also made it sound like it’s not a big deal when I felt like my whole life was just changed. I asked her to ask doctor if we could wait but doc said no because of high risk. I was upset too because they had told me that if anything was wrong they would’ve called earlier and I’m just surprised it took them forever to let me know. I’m switching doctors...getting records tomorrow so I can see what changes made it abnormal. And just not sure what to do. I kind of wish I just hadn’t gone to the doctor. I’m in the US and it sometimes seems like women end up in cycles of biopsies and different tests “just because” or out of fear. I’d rather wait 6 months and see if pap is normal then?? Idk. Just blah. Thanks for sharing your stories! 

Hi 

It is rotten how they have done this and also calling your insurance etc. I suppose it’s different in the US to the UK.

If you have high grade changes I would definitely have the colposcopy rather than the alternative of developing cervical cancer. If very low grade then I believe you can wait 6 months to see if it resolves. You really do need to discuss with your doctor. I have to say I’d always rather treat it tbh.

Good luck x

I’m in US and my story is the opposite. My pap was abnormal with hsil and they wanted to wait 6 months and check again. I pushed for an earlier colpo and biopsy. Don’t wait, best to just take action earlier even if it’s much ado about nothing.

Question : i had my colpo this year in may i think or april, results were abnormal low grade. Went to colpo clinic 6/7 and those results were given to me today stating high grade dysplasia and they are referring me to LEEP procedure which is scheduled for July 19th, do you have any knowledge on leep procedure ? 

Hi, I’ve had a Lletz procedure which is the same I think? 

They pass a wire loop to remove abnormal cells, this is done under local anaesthetic usually. I’ve had 2 and both were fine. My main discomfort was the speculum, some cramping that day but pretty much sorted the next day. I was dead nervous before both of these.

xxx

One more question, thanks for responding, is the LEEP results what im waiting for to see if the cancer cells turned or is the LEEP only to remove the cells ? im nervous that no one is telling me if it has turned to cancer or not 

The doctor will look at your cervix, next usually they put a vinegar type solution and iodine solution on your cervix and examine under the colposcope. This will allow them to see any areas of the cervix which look abnormal.  The leep will remove the abnormal area and this will be sent to pathology.  These results will let you know if you have any abnormalities and what those abnormalities are. 

Hope that helps xxx