Normal colposcopy followed by abnormal smear... confused

Hi, am not used to posting in a forum so bear with me :relaxed:
I am just after a bit of information really…
I had a 3rd colposcopy 20 th November following cin1 and they found nothing abnormal so essentially a normal cervix. At the same time I had a repeat smear test. I was told that would just need repeat smear in 3 years unless anything came back on this smear. I assumed that as colposcopy was clear then the smear would be too, as normally the colposcopy is a closer look. So when I got a letter from hospital in post on Tues 1st Dec with a follow up appt I thought it was a mistake. I have since had the explanation letter and have appt on Tues 8th for Lletz as smear result showed severe dyskariosis.
I just don’t get how this would not have shown on the colposcopy?
Can anybody shed any light or had similar experience or might the smear result be wrong?
Thank you

Buttercup75

Hi buttercup, I don't have an exact similar experience but I had my 6th month follow up colposcopy apt recently and the doctor said everything looked fine and I quote "Your cervix looks clear so everything should come back clear, unless there is something higher up". So perhaps your transformation zone was not visible at the colposcopy. I had an abnormal smear after that, but that could be explained by the fact the cells were higher up (AGC or CGIN).

I read in a medical text book that CIN3 has been detected between 54-85% on colposcopy alone between 1960-1996. The same text book recommended that many biopsies be taken to ensure CIN was not missed as the area of abnormality may be so small it is impossible to see at colposcopy. So this may be your case as they were not picking up the change from CIN1-CIN3.

I have not heard of a smear coming back CIN3 and biopsy results coming back with nothing. Sounds like they have made the right decision on doing a LLETZ. I am only speculating so your consultant would be able to guess more than me. I hope someone with a more similar experience gets back to you.

Thank you for your reply bahar :) 

Ok so that makes a bit more sense then if they couldn't see the area. If it was cgin they would have said this in letter from hospital as opposed to severe dyskariosis? 

After a lletz I know you bleed but does it tend to be very heavy for long? I haven't had a period for 10 years due to injection then implant. I have managed to swap my nightshift which was going to be the same day following the procedure and then not in work til Thurs so luckily 2 days after.  

One more thing so is Cin3 same as severe dyskariosis? 

Sorry for questions, starting to feel a bit nervous about it all now x

I have had  similar experience. Second colposcopy showed nothing of concern but had the smear done and that came back as high grade changes. Another colposcopy and another doctor had a look and again said can only see a very small area of perhaps CIN 1. They did a punch biopsy and i am awaiting those results. I asked what if it's further up and they seemed to think they would know. I'm terrified though. Someone I know has had the colposcopy after the result I had and been told early cancer. 

I am going to make a list of questions before I go I think... As I will forget them all once in there! Louise, hope your result comes back. Dry soon and puts your mind to rest. 

Yes for your pap smear reading I think it sounds like CIN/ dyskariosis not AGC/CGIN. For me after my LLETZ cone biopsy I bleed a little tiny bit on the day, hardly anything. The same for almost two weeks then I had a large clump come out (what I have heard it is the solution they use to stop the bleeding in surgery/biopsy and the ‘scab’), which can often be compared to coffee granules.  I was just going to the bathroom and I felt something go out and looked. Then I had like light period blood come out for maybe 1,5-2 weeks, in there was some scary weird clots and stingy bits.  

I think it is a really good thing you have 2 days off as it can take a little while to feel emotionally and physically like moving around and if you are having it under general anaesthetic it can take that long for the anaesthesia to ware off, I slept for almost 2 days. I would  not be shy to ask the nurse/doctor for pain medication following the procedure, I had a burning sensation after the procedure for that day only. I was also put on anti-biotics to prevent infection, however, I am in another country so it may be different.

It must be daunting to have bleeding for so long after not having a period. I have used tampons since I was 12 so going back to pads made me feel like a child lol. But after the bleeding had stopped I actually felt a little naked without it there, we are adaptive creatures! I would buy a mix of pads and liners as some days especially towards the end you really don’t need a full pad.

You are correct CIN 3 is the same as severe dyskariosis.

Please don’t be feel bad for asking questions. I love your idea of bringing a list to the appointment, smart idea.

Hi I know this is an old thread, but I've just had the same result as this. Anyone still on here who can give me an update if what happened such as results of lletz etc? 

Thanks