Newly diagnosed HPV and CIN 1 - need advice

Hi, I'm 22 years old and went to only my second true gyno appointment about six months ago (I became sexually active at 18). I had an abnormal pap and was diagnosed with HPV. My doctor told me it was the "high-risk kind" but I don't know much more than that or what to make of that information. I went back in for a colposcopy and just got a call that it was a CIN 1 and I should come back in three months for another examination. I have been doing research and I keep reading that this is unlikely to lead to cancer, but it's hard to know what to think. I'm also trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I have HPV and will continue to have it for the rest of my life. I am single and not sure exactly how this is going to impact my life moving forward. None of my friends have experienced something like this and my mother is not in my life. Is there anyone who is knowledgeable about this or has experienced a similar scenario and can offer some words of advice? 

Hi there - its not nice being told you have HPV and then be expected to just live normally is it. But that's the advice they give. I feel the same and its practically put me off sex, but I've seen countless articles saying you should not stop having sex just because of HPV, to carry on as normal. There's every chance that the HPV and CIN1 could clear up if you look after your immune system. Smoking is a huge cause of damage to immune system, so give up if you do smoke. Up your vitamin C intake, eat healthy in general, exercise, get rid of stress. Just live a healthy life basically, and there is every chance that the infection will go away on its own.

I know its worrying and hard to put to the back of your mind, but at least they are keeping a close eye on you now so you are in safe hands. Best of luck xxx

Hiya,

From what I've read online, 1 in 4 people wil be infected with HPV at some point in their lives. I don't think it's something thats uncommon however until just two weeks ago I had never heard of it, and it's certainly not something that is commonly discussed / known about - as none of my friends had heard of it either.

I also have just been diagnosed with high risk HPV (16 to be precise) and CIN 1 and following the colposcopy CIN 2. My doctor mentioned that CIN 1 often goes away by itself and doesn't require further treatment, so I would agree with jjcarnage's comment about keeping healthy and boosting your immune system and hopefully your body can heal this itself.

Fingers crossed you get the all clear in 3 months!

-

Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result

Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up. Results show HPV 16 - high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed

Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken. Awaiting biopsy results

Hi Mmcneil3

I am in the exact same position as you - I had an abnormal smear which came back positive for high-risk HPV, and following biopsies, CIN 1. I am also due to return for another colposcopy, in April. I am a non-smoker but I am prone to catching colds and bugs (my immune system seems to be naturally rubbish!). My diet was fine before all this but I have really watched what I'm eating at the moment, having more organic food in my diet and upping my fruit/veg intake, plus taking immune boosting vitamins and minerals. I know there are a lot of conflicting reports as to whether measures like that do improve immunity, but it can't hurt to try!

Apart from that I have also gone off sex...unsurprisingly. From what I've read, there's not need/point in telling current/future partners as (and others have said it already) most of us will have some form of HPV at some point. That said it does feel weird, knowing there's something happening but you can't do anything about it except wait.

If you need someone to vent to then just give me a shout :) Fingers crossed it will all clear up on its own x

What were your results did it clear up?