Colposcopy CIN 1

I am 33 years old. I have been with only one person my entire life since the age of 16. Have two kids and have had regular paps since age 16. Last month for the first time I got a call back saying pap results were abnormal. I was told HPV test came back possitive and that I needed a colposcopy. Had colposcopy done with 4 biopsies and a week later was told I had CIN 1. My partner had told me my first time was also his first and now this happens. I have never had any other sexual contact before him or after him. When I confronted him about this he assured me that he has never been unfaithful and that he was never with anyone else before me. I talked to my doctor and she confirmed that if I was 100% sure he was my only partner that he passed the HPV virus on to me. He has not been supportive through none of this, he wont even try speaking to me.  I feel alone, betrayed and confused. We have not spoken to eachother in almost a month and I have nobody to talk to about this. I'm worried about my future health and I'm scared that the person I have been with for 17 years isnt even the person I though he was.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. It’s an awful worry at the best of times but know you’re partner isn’t being honest makes it worse. As far as your health is concerned Cin 1 is the best of the abnormalitie. It is low grade changes and the majority of the time clears its self without any treatment. Xx

Hi there,

I'm super pleased for you receiving such a brilliant biopsy result, it must have been such a relief!

I am not an expert, but it is well documented that you can get HPV just from touching, oral sex etc. Furthermore, there is new evidence that you can pick it up from unsanitised surfaces, such as the doctors table, the equiptment used in check ups and even the gym bench...virgins can test positive for HPV. Think of it like warts, it is much the same and is spread in the same way.

The probability goes up with increased sexual partners and I can totally understand the way you feel, I have been feeling a tiny bit hostile towards my partner since my biopsy, however, this does not mean your partner has had sex with someone else. 

I hope this helps to reassure you a bit!

Best wishes

Elena

x