Newbie, worried & confused

Hi everyone!

I’ve been reading through Google and scaring myself to death, so I’ve come back onto this page to try and drill some sense into myself.
I had my first smear test at 24.5 and it came back abnormal, low grade dysk and hpv infection present (I don’t know if it was high or low grade - I never asked)
I was referred for a colposcopy which took place Tuesday just gone. Whilst I was there the nurse tried to reasure me (even though I was already thinking about writing my will) she said if it’s low grade they will probably just monitor it.
Anyway she took a look and said she could see some CIN1 and then looked closer and said she could see some possible evidence of CIN2 but wanted to take a biopsy just to be sure… I started panicking, why didn’t she just do treatment then and there to remove the bad cells? Does she think it’s something more sinister? I’m worried too, I have on 1.5yr old and it’s upsetting me so much worrying about silly things.

She has booked me in for a colposcopy in a years time but said if anything comes back it might be sooner for treatment - is she expecting the worst? What are the chances of it being really bad?

My letter after colposcopy says 'mainly low grade changes, may account to high grade, bx taken, advised if bx shows high grade will see sooner for treatment, loop explained, reassurances given.

I’m literally avoiding the postman I’m that scared of the results,

Sorry to waffle on, just looking for some reassurance I guess…

Xxx

Hiya I had the exact same results went for the colp nurses were lovely she said exactly same as what she'd said to you that if it came back higher I'd need treatment,that was 4 weeks ago and Monday just gone had the leetz I'm still panicking like mad I feel I've wasted this last month fretting so I do know exactly how you feel honestly the one thing that reassures me tho is I've had it treated which the way my mind works I'd off been panicking the whole time until the next check. ..sorry if I've not reassured you but just wanted to let you know your not on your own with the feeling and emotions it's a awful worry and waiting prolonges it! It's a vicious circle! If you do have to have the treatment honestly my experience off it was painless and so quick,I just keep in mind I went for my smear and it's done it's job,I'm sending you a massive hug xxx

I know this provably won't help either because sometimes it does me then another time it doesn't but I know 13 people who have had the cells removed all OK now I couldn't believe how common this was xxx

Hi Ellsmace 

thank you so much for your message! It's so nice to know somebody else has gone and been through the same *hugs* I'm so glad your treatment went ok! 

its nice  know I'm not alone, none of my friends have either had their smears yet or theirs came back normal (which made me so jealous haha) so i havent spoken to any of them about it -

thanks for being so nice xxxx

Hi Ellsmace 

thank you so much for your message! It's so nice to know somebody else has gone and been through the same *hugs* I'm so glad your treatment went ok! 

its nice  know I'm not alone, none of my friends have either had their smears yet or theirs came back normal (which made me so jealous haha) so i havent spoken to any of them about it -

thanks for being so nice xxxx

I was the same as you worrying like mad! I had the LLETZ treatment and from what I have seen on here if its lower than CIN3 they wait till its confirmed from the biopsy what level of CIN it is as cells can return to normal without treatment so they just monitor it :) they dont treat everyone with abnormal cells as I think because it has risks, I was told that when I have a baby it will be more at risk to be born premature. I had an appointment with my GP last week to discuss it all as I was really confused and upset but she explained it all to me really well and looked at the notes from my colposcopy appointment and told me I had nothing to worry about, so if your really struggling I would advise seeing your GP or giving your colposcopy nurse a ring :)

Oh I know what ya mean! This is my 3rd smear and I've always been OK when my friends cane back abnormal I suppose u never understood how hard it is to freak out! I just want this over with now like you because we've had biopsies first then treatment it's longer period off waiting grrrrrr.....xxx

I can't thank you girls enough for replying to my post! 

its so nice to have a convo with people who have been through the same, it's put my mind at ease - at least for today anyway haha!

i certainly didn't expect my first smear to come back abnormal! Then I worried more because I thought how long has it been abnormal for haha! 

Thanks SarahLeanne - I might give my GP a call on Monday and have a chat to give me a bit more understanding - I was so nervous at the colposcopy on Tuesday I literally relied on my partner to tell me everything she said as it was all a blur the minute she told me CIN2 potentially haha! 

Thanks again girls - hugs - xxxx

No problem at all keep ya chin up says me who's been a misery since getting the results ! Hahaha lots off love xxxx

Yes this forum has helped me so much too as I didn't know anyone who had been through this either but apparently it is really common! Awww yes I would definetly speak to your GP or nurse about it as they can explain it all really well :)  it was my first smear too and I was late for it so I was thinking OMG how long has it been like this for! But my GP reassured me that it was OK and that we done the best thing by actually going to the smear as she said theres so many girls dont go or when they do go and get an abnormal result they dont attend the colposcopy! So you have done the right thing by getting it checked and now will be monitored till its clear :)

My colposcopy was a blur too I literally rushed out of there when it was done and then later in the day I regretted it as I had so many questions! So any girls reading this about to go for one dont be scared to ask questions :)

Hopefully your not waiting too long for your results so your mind can be put at rest :)

xxx