Negative smear but lesion on cervix?

Hello,

I had a smear back in may, it returned a negative result, fantastic I thought. But then I missed my period. I had a 50 day cycle so I went to the GP and explained I’m on the copper coil, not pregnant etc but my periods have become irregular over the past 6(ish) months. As part of the GP examinations, she checked my cervix (in July) she said it looked a little irritated, so would have me back in a month to check it again, and ran a load of tests to look for PCOS and STI’s (even though I’ve been married for 7 years).

I had an appointment on Tuesday this week, where she said my bloods are fine, STI results negative and double checked my cervix again. She said it’s still irritated but she’s also spotted a lesion on my cervix. She said she’s going to refer me to gynae, but then she read the urgent referral guidance and told me she is putting me on the two week wait, suspended cancer pathway and if I don’t hear back within 10 days from the colposcopy clinic to get in touch with her where she will chase it up as a matter of urgency. She followed this conversation up with please don’t panic, I just want to rule out anything nasty before we do any further investigations.
I was okay, I used to chaperone for the colposcopy clinic, so understand why people are referred but today, I’ve had an awful bout of period pains (not due my period) and started to have some light pink bleeding too. Pain so bad I’ve had to go home from work early and curl up in bed.
It’s really made me panic. I’ve started to feel very anxious but can’t find a lot of information on anyone else going through similar - having a normal smear and then being referred just months later for abnormalities on a cervix - what was the outcome?

I’m only 28 with two young children. Of course I’m really hoping it’s nothing but I’m very worried it isn’t, and I’m terrified of having that dreaded diagnosis and what I’ll tell my children etc. :sob:

I don’t know how to stop worrying about it all.

Oh is anyone able to let me know if they’ve been through this? Have my colposcopy tomorrow and worried sick.

I’ve not been through similar so can’t share my experience. But I wanted to say I know how you feel with the anxiety. I’ve had this too about gyne issues. Try writing down any questions you have so you can ask at your appointment tomorrow.
Look after yourself tonight. Try to put it to the back of your mind. Let us know how it goes tomorrow. Xx

Hello,

Thank you. I’m trying my best. Having a bath and just trying a bit of self care. I keep flipping between being really positive that I’m going to be fine to really anxious it’s something serious.

Most irritated that the holiday I’ve booked and paid for months ago for myself husband and two children is going to be ruined if I have to have a biopsy as I won’t be able to use the hot tub - which was the whole point of booking that particular place. Instead I’ll have to sit on the sidelines and watch them all play without me :broken_heart: feels very poignant.

That would be annoying. Make sure you mention that to the consultant as they can sometimes rearrange a biopsy for when you get back. Although, the waiting is terrible so postponing might not help. Sending lots of love. I hope you get some answers tomorrow and some reassurance.
Xx

1 Like

Hello,

I wanted to pop an update on here as I struggled to find anyone who has been through the same as me, but I went to my appointment today, the consultant had a look at my cervix and said all she can see was ectropion. She said this happens a lot, she didn’t feel the need to take a biopsy as she couldn’t see anything concerning, she said - it’s just the way your cervix is. And told me I’m ‘off the hook’ as she could see I was very nervous it would be something more serious. She said the cervix isn’t bleeding on contact or anything either which she said can happen with ectropion.

I walked out that appointment and cried tears of relief! I had worried myself silly it would be bad news. I just wanted to pop this on here as I saw a few posts that had a similar experience but the post wasn’t updated after they had been to colposcopy - I am so thankful for this site though. It’s been a bit of a lifeline the past week and I certainly feel much more informed that I did before finding it.

I probably won’t be on here much now I’ve got the all clear but I will try to pop on every now and again in case anyone asks as questions on this thread and I can help to settle their mind just a little.

Thank you dreamland for replying to me too xx

5 Likes

Hi kiyah28
So happy for you bet you’ll sleep well tonight! Can I ask if you’ve been on the pill a long time as I have that too with contact bleeding and have been on the pill 20 years thankfully now not. X

2 Likes

I’m so glad you got good news! Your story was so similar to mine, but I didn’t want to post as I didn’t want to scare you with my outcome. I’m just glad there are good news stories on here and I’m 100% hopeful I’m going to get mine.
Take care xx

Hello, I haven’t been on the pill since 2015. Prior to that I was on it from around 2010. Hope that’s helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

@leigh, I saw your story while I was searching through the forum!
How are you?
I’m so sorry your story is different to mine, isn’t life very cruel?

This whole situation has been so difficult, my mum is currently under investigation for ovarian cancer. I’ll be honest I’m not sure how I would have coped had I needed biopsies and further investigations on top of trying to support her too.

I really hope you get some positive news, from what I’ve seen on here, lots of people seem to win this fight. Even those with advance cervical cancer, which I know gave me some hope when I was expecting bad news :heart: positive mindset really seems important x

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I’m so glad to have finished treatment, I’m coming up to four weeks post treatment and feeling much stronger and with that comes positivity. I’ve got some side effects and it has been hard, but I feel like I’ve done it.
I hope your mum is ok. X

2 Likes

I am so glad to hear you’ve finished your treatment - I do hope your follow up scans etc show you’re all clear :crossed_fingers:t3:

What a journey to have been on, I think anyone that goes through this is so very strong xxx

2 Likes