Needing some reassurance please!

Hi there,

I’m new to the forums however recently I’ve been reading alot of them. I had my first smear test in March this year that came back with slight changes and had to have it repeated 6 months later. I went back in September and had another which came back with changes that needed to be investigated further. 2 weeks later I had an appointment for a colposcopy where a biopsy was taken. I have been riddled with anxiety throughout the whole process so I phoned the hospital to see if my results were back. I was told they were back but hadn’t been seen by the consultant yet. That was yesterday, and today I received a letter sent first class with another appointment at the hospital. No mention of results. 

I am totally freaking out now and fearing the absolute worst. Everyone around me is telling me to stay positive and it’s probably nothing but I can’t help think that he wants to see me in person to give me the bad news.

Anyone else been through similar and it’s not as bad as it seems? I have to wait to Thursday now for my appointment and I feel by then I will be crazy!!

Thank you.

Hi 

I am sorry you are going through this, I know it's really worrying when you get called back and impossible not to fear the worst.

It could just be that you need to have a lletz to remove the abnormal cells that were found in your biopsy. 

Good luck please let us know how you get on x

Anything picked up from the biopsy/colposcopy that requires explaining and maybe treatment would need to be discussed in person. I have known people with minor changes still not to be given results over the phone as then we would always assume the worst if we have to wait on appointment. I think coming in to discuss is pretty standard. Try not to read into it. I was called back in after 2 weeks and the biopsy was insufficient and a lletz biopsy was arranged under general anaesthetic. :) xx