Need colopscopy and scared

please don't judge me but i am 40 and went for my first smear in November, i never had courage to go, it was horrific, worse than i thought, the nurse couldn't do it as she said my cervix was to low and had to refer me to hospital, i had that hospital appointment at the start of February and today whist at work i got a call with out no warning letter that i need a colopscopy which has been booked in on 16th , im really worried that i have left it too late and its going to be serious, im really worried

Hi Josie,

I can understand your concern. You've got a couple of weeks to wait and the waiting can be difficult. I can reassure you that once you are in the system you will be well looked after. It's hard when you're not given an indication of what to expect. I would ring the clinic and ask to speak to someone directly about the colposcopy appointment. You should be able to get some more information about what to expect and you may even get some information about your results from your previous appointment.

I was recently given an appointment following a lletz treatment which I was concerned about. I rang the clinic and a nurse rang me back to discuss it. This really helped.

Good luck,

Xx

Thank you, i received a letter today saying i have hpv and high grade moderate dyskaryosis, it's really shook me up, im worried now how long i have had it and if i have left it too late

Hi Josie,

I answered to you on another thread. High grade dyskaryosis can be both moderate or severe. Yours is moderate and needs to be investigated further. To hopefully put your mind at rest, my recent smear came back as high grade severe dyskaryosis, colposcopy needed. It has been fine. At the colposcopy I had a biopsy taken and this diagnosed CIN2 and CIN3. After that I had a treatment of lletz. It's all been fine. The treatment was very efficient. Like you I was worried, but I feel very relieved now that the team are looking after me. I know it's hard but try not to worry. You are in good hands.

Good luck,

Xx

Thank you for replying, its really helped, is there much of a difference between moderate and severe? I hope you are ok now, do you know if you need anymore treatment xx

Hi Josie 

I'm sorry to hear how worried you are - I can relate I was a nervous wreck ! I had the same result on my smear - it's pretty much like " in the middle " they call moderate and severe high grade but there is a difference , moderate usually relates to CIN2 . I was a nervous wreck , but I've just had the biopsy results and it is confirmed as CIN2 and it's simply either monitoring them or treatment ( this will be discussed at my next appointment but I am choosing treatment ) . Please try not to worry they will look after you - the wait is what makes it hard . Like others have said give them a call and explain how worried you are they may even be able to fit you in a bit earlier xx 

Hi Josie,

Glad to hear you're feeling better about it. It's a journey for me at the moment. Hopefully the treatment has worked. I still need to be monitored. But the doctors really are brilliant.

Good luck with yours,

Xx

Hi Josie, 

If it helps, please have a nosey at my link in my back story. Like you, I really just wanted to know exactly what would happen but couldn't find any descriptions anywhere. So after my own experience I wrote everything down to help others.

The fabulous ladies above have answered all your questions. I fully agree with them on ringing the colposcopy clinic. They are so kind and helpful and are happy for you to call anytime. 

There's also the Jo's helpline too that are fantastic. And if course, you can chat away to us on here as much as you need. 

I'd recommend getting your head into a really good book or Netflix binge watch to try and take your mind off everything. Xx

Hi and thanks to everyone who responded, i had to stop looking at this as i was driving myself insane with worry reading all the stories! 

i had my colposcopy today, as soon as i arrived the doctor said due to the fact i was 40 she advised that i had the cells removed, i was offered to have the procedure today or under general anaesthetic! As much as i was terrified i decided to have it done there and then, it was traumatic but there were two lovely nurses who calmed me down enough to get through it!  
the doctor said the cells will be sent off and in her opinion they will come back with CIN moderate to high and i should get called back in 6months hopefully, does this sound hopeful? Im not sure i am still worried but at the time slightly reassured xx

Hi Josie,

That sounds good. They've caught the cell changes early, sounds like it's likely to be CIN2. Whatever stage they are pretty sure it's precancerous. This means you've had treatment long before the possibility of any cancer developing. The screening program is there to stop cancer developing by treating any abnormalities early. Not all abnormalities would develop into cancer in the long run anyway. Please feel reassured. You've been well cared for. After this you should get more regular motoring as well, which will hopefully put your mind at rest. It's such a worry but the system really is good.

Good luck with it all,

Xx

Hi Josie,

I echo dreamland, I'm so pleased for you and we'll done for taking the bull by the horns and going for it there and then.

I completely get the not spending too much time scouring posts. I have on days and off days xx