MRI hysterectomy? Radiotherapy?

Hey all,
So I had my MRI on Thursday (14th April). That wasn’t bad really to say I was so worried. Don’t we build things up haha.
Anyway, I now have to wait till Wednesday until i find out exactly what stage I’m at & exactly what treatment I’ll be on.

I met my key worker via phone yesterday. She seems really lovely and has a fab sense of humour. Now the doc who did the lletz and told me about the cancer, told me i would definitely need a hysterectomy. However, yesterday my key worker gave me a provisional date for surgery. I asked why provisional. She said it was incase the mri showed the cancer was in a hard to reach place and therefore inoperable and so i would need radiotherapy instead.
So, me being me, after working hard to get my head round this all & trying to stay positive, my mind is now working overtime again.
Has anyone else had this happen? Can anyone tell me experience of this?
Sending you all love & hugs
Xxx

Hi Emma 

That is great that your key worker is lovely - so important to have nice doctors! 

I am not sure about the radiotherapy vs surgery - but my doctors have told me that surgery (hysterectomy) will remove my tumour and that if I need radiation that will just kill of any microscopic cancer cells. But treatment might be different in Australia where I am. 

I think radiotherapy and chemo can also shrink tumours to then make it operable? 

I am sorry I am new to this too so I am unsure. 

Can I ask you if you are going go have a PET scan? Did your doctors mention one? 

Well you will know more on Wednesday - I know the waiting is awful. I am also waiting and I find out on Wednesday more too. So we can both count the sleeps together :) 

Have your doctors talked about chemo? I am going to have that too. 

Do you have family and friends to help you - will someone be going with you on Wednesday? 

big hugs and love 

Rosie xx

Hi Rosie,

I'm not sure what a PET scan is.

I had an MRI which is a huge tube thing you lie in and it uses uber strong magnets to take lots of pictures. That's what they're going to discuss and then my key worker said she will ring me. Thinking about taking the afternoon off work as i teach and not sure my lil kiddies would like it if i meltdown haha.

They said they are hoping for no chemo but it depends on what  the MRI shows. 

My amazing hubby Peter is being a complete rock at the mo. I hope u have plenty of people keeping you strong too.

Yes, we'll count the sleeps together :) i'm in England so you will get news before me i think. Im crossing everything for you.

Love Em xxx

I had something similar radical hysterectomy scheduled for tomorrow (5 weeks ago) but it did depend on results of PET CT I had last week. I had to wait to have both the scan and surgery for six weeks after I healed from cone biopsy. Scan results were good so I am having surgery tomorrow as planned but there could have been scan results that may have changed treatment.

Hi Emma,

Sorry I've come into this conversation a bit late. The general rule of thumb is that if your cancer is small and has not spread anywhere, then you are treated with surgery which, whilst pretty invasive, doesn't involve five weeks of traipsing back and forth to hospital every day. If your cancer is 2 or above, or shows any signs of possibly having spread, then you are treated with chemo-radiation, because that will find the bugger pretty much anywhere in your body. The radiotherapy targets your pelvis and the chemo goes everywhere but it also increases the benefit of the radiotherapy. This treatment does involve traipsing back and forth to hospital on a daily basis for five weeks but leaves all your insides inside.

I hope that helps :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

I spoke to Claire (my key worker) this morning. She had the mri results. She said although i still need to wait until Wed for the MDT meeting, she thought, looking at the results, from her experience, that i now wouldnt be having surgery. I will now have radiotherapy as it looks like the damn c is too close to the edge??? (She said a word beginning with P but i cant remember it. My mjnd is so fuzzy). So withit being in this place it looks like it is too hard to reach. She said it still looks like its early. 

I cant stop being scared. I am trying really hard to be positive as i know thats best but i cant stop this awful sickening fear. I am really hoping that the mdt team say i can still have surgery cos i just want to rip it all out.

Has anyone else had this happen? 

P.s. my kw is such a lovely lady so i do feel lucky in that respect. 

Hi Emma :-)

To be perfectly honest with you, the chemo-radiotherapy works really incredibly well. I don't know why we don't all have it and forget about the surgery. I know it's tempting to feel that cutting it out is best but if I had not had the surgery I would be happier today than I am with a scar staring back up at me :-)

Tivoli

Thanks for you thoughts, Tivoli. U r a comfort.

How are you doing today? Xxx

Hi Emma :-)

I'm doing really well today thanks :-) Got some varnishing to do worst luck :-(

Tivoli

Morning :)

Varnishing? Boooooo ;) 

I'm trying to pysch myself up to rewallpaper my dining room chimmney breast lol. Maybe this weekend. 

Back to work this morning after my meltdown yesterday. Looking forward to it. Much better than moping :)

Have a good day and hope your varnishing goes well & quickly xxx

Getting the wallpapering done ahead of treatment sounds like the perfect distraction :-) Don't attempt anything so energetic after your op!

Tivoli