Moderate Dyskaryosis

Hi there.  I was under the colposcopy clinic for two years due to low grade abnormalities with no treatment needed just discharged with advice to attend for regular smear in 12 months.  Just received my smear result and it appears that I'm back to the Colposcopy clinic due to high grade cell detection.  Needless to say I've gone in to panic mode!  Am telling myself these cells are pre-cancerous and it's good that I'm being looked at but am slightly freaking out.  Thankfully I've a cancellation for colposcopy tomorrow so grateful not to have to wait too long.  Good luck to anybody else attending similar appointments xxx

Hey! Having just gone through this in the last 6 months, panic mode is totally normal and the natural human reaction, it's a terrifying thought and the whole process is scary, and that's OK! You're absolutely right in telling yourself they are just possibly pre-cancerous cells and that this is absolutely 100% the reason we go for our smears, to pick these little blighters up and deal with them before they have the opportunity to turn into anything nasty. 
I kept worrying that they would turn into cancer tomorrow but the reality is that some abnormal cells could turn into cancer but it is a process that takes years and years, and in most cases your body will eliminate them naturally. 

Wishing you all the best for your colposcopy, treat yourself to something nice after and have a chill out day on the sofa, you will have earnt it :)

Stay positive!  

1. Sophie, thank you for your reply which has helped to calm me down!  I think because low grade abnormalities were seen three years ago, then I got the all clear and now my smear has shown moderate changes my mind is working overtime. My partner is taking me along later and we will indeed have a nice cake afterwards! As you say, the little blighters can be dealt with if needed. Thanks again for replying xxx

Really sorry you are going through this. How did the colposcopy go? 

Hi, thank you for asking x At my colposcopy appointment the team were fantastic.  They explained that due to the cells being present for three years and changing slightly that they would remove them there and then!  The actual Lletz procedure was quick, painless (just a slight sting when the anaesthetic was given) one minute we were talking about Christmas then the next the nurse said I was all done.  I'll need to wait three weeks for the result so fingers crossed.  I felt so relieved it was all done and can honestly say to anybody worried that it isn't as bad as I was anticipating when I thought that this was probably what I could expect to happen at my appointment.  Take care x