Microscopic lymph involvement after radical trachelectomy - chemo needed

Had a radical trachelectomy three weeks ago and just received results.
Was told that they were very happy with the fact they had all (1b1) tumour but that they found microscopic cancer cells in one lymph node so I will need chemo radiation.

My world has been torn apart.

Desperately need to keep things normal for precious 7 month old baby but I feel I keep needing to find strength upon strength upon strength and dunno when the kicking will end .

Of course I know it could be worse but it feels so unfair

I know that feeling of things being unfair.  

Hopefully the treatment will be kind to you and your strength will just naturally come through x x 

Hi Henrah I am so sorry to hear you now have to have Rad/Chemo it can be a shock the thought of it. When i was told i had CC and would have the same treatment as you i thought i would never be able to get through it. Finding this site has really helped me if you read some of the treatment posts it will put your mind at rest. I start my treatment on Monday so I know what your going through I will be thinking about you let me know how you are getting on we can do this hugs xx

Thinking of you as well !

the strength is coming back ! I think I needed to embrace the shock i found myself in in order to feel stronger . I'm sure there will be ups and downs .

we can do this x

Hi Henrah :-)

We can do this! Indeed we can! Like you, I was devastated when I was told I had to have chemo-rads following surgery, but in fact it wasn't really a bother and in hindsight I would have preferred just to have had the chemo-rads and skipped out on the surgery altogether.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hey love,

Hope you're recovering from surgery ok. I'm 3 and a half weeks out now and feeling close to normal, hope you are too. I'm so sorry about that bloody lymph node. I had very close margins so while they're not going to do any treatment right now I need to be monitored very closely&they can't guarantee that I won't need chemo radio in the future as I'm high risk. I totally and utterly understand how you're feeling right now, please feel free to PM me any time, I am happy to talk whenever. You will get through this. Xxx

Hi Henrah,

I had something very similar happen to me. Was initially told that they would go for surgery, radical hysterectomy and that should do it, but when the results came back they found five lymph nodes were involved so chemo rads would be needed. I remember so clearly how I felt and that every bit of news I had just got worse. When I had got my head around it, I decided that this was my best chance to get rid of it, so I just took one day at a time. It's very tough when you have such a young baby, but try to get help as the treatment does make you tired. I hope you are offered the treatment soon. I don't know what the gap is between trach operation and treatment but I guess it's the same as for a hysterectomy. I'm assuming you are young and probably fit, and you sound a positive person. Get this last bit done and then it will be history, and you can get on with your life with your new family. Wishing you all the very best x

Thanks everyone for your kind words ! 

Maeve, what were your close margins ? Did they find anything in the lymph ? I understand that for me they were uming and ahing about offering me chemo rad as there was only one affected lymph node.

my friend said the best thing - we will look back on this as a relatively short space of time and it will be a victory .

we may not be able to decide our health but we can decide our attitude .

love to you all xx

Hi Henrah I hope you are well do you know when you start your treatment? I am glad to hear you are feeling stronger it is a shock to the system and takes time to deal with the shock. I am thinking about you xx

Hi Henrah,

I had no lymph node involvement and my margins were clear but they like to have a margin of 8mm. In one place the margin was 4mm so they have to keep a very close eye. I also have LVSI so I'm at a slightly higher risk. I'm going to talk to my consultant about it tomorrow anyway. How are you feeling? X

Thanks kumagil, 

Found out a week a go. And haven't heard from them yet.  Have a holiday to Santorini booked in a couple weeks to celebrate it being  over.  Ha ha ha ha 

I'm  up and down.  How's your treatmenf going? Did u start this week? Xxx 

Hi Henreh,

I've had a really similar diagnosis. Diagnosed 1B1 but actually had 2 LLETZ procedures to remove the cancer from my cervix to try preserve my fertility (I'm 29 and no kids), told no cancer or pre-cancer on cervix so just lymph node removal. 30 nodes removed and one contained microscopic amounts of cancer so chemo radiation has be advised. I am due to start treatment on Monday but have been meeting with doctors today and more tomorrow to discuss it. My PET CT showed no signs of cancer and I'm just not convinced the severity of the treatment is merited.

Did you say your doctors considerred you not needing this treatment? Have yon started treatment yet? I'm hoping to ask tomorrow if just having chemo would be an option cause it's the radiotherapy side effects that worry me the most.

Julie Xx