Lletz treatment advice

Hi all

I have just recieved results from my 4th consecutive colposcopy. Each time ive been it has not changed much. The results from this time are smear: moderate changes and biopsy unstageable abnormalities. I really struggle with the biopsy and have had to have gas and air last time which just about did the trick (i know I'm a wuss haha). How does the treatment compare? They have made the follow up very quickly (next Wednesday) is this anything to be concerned about? 

Also i have heard some horror stories about LLETZ and although I think its necessary at this stage, I am a little apprehensive. Would anyone be able to share their experiences positive or negative to help me weigh up my options? Ive heard about it causing longer term problems such as sexual apathy. Im only 26 and have never had children so want to take the least invasive route. I could potentially hold off another 6 months and see if there's any improvement but to be honest I also want it off my mind at this point. Some experiences would be really appreciated as i don't really have anyone to ask questions with the covid situation i dont want to take up any of their time! Thanks in advance:)

Although I was very nervous beforehand, I found the treatment tolerable. They inject the cervix with anaesthetic so I experienced no pain during the procedure but be prepared for it to make your heart race as they add adrenaline to make the anaesthetic work faster. This made me feel a bit panicky but I could cope with that as I knew what was causing it. 
I had very slight period pains that evening and was very tired for a couple of days but was all recovered in 3 weeks. 
For me, it has not caused problems in the sex department! 
This is just my experience but I hope it helps a bit.

Jx 

Hi

I had the lletz yesterday I was so panicky beforehand so they offered me the gas and air. It made the whole thing so much better for me, it really helped me relax. The injection stings a little but not painful. Afterwards I felt a little unsteady on my legs, haven't had any pain but just feel really drained today. 
Hope all goes ok with you. X

I had my LLETZ this morning and it was fine (and I am a very anxious person). The worst part was the anaesthetic but when I say the worst part, I mean uncomfortable and stingy. NOT painful. NOT scary. It was literally 3 seconds and she took all off. I only found out about the low sex drive side effect after I came home and, frankly, I'm not worried about it. The doctor never mentioned it and there's some research on this but it's not that common. If it was, they would have warned us. Good luck and hope it helps. 

Hi

I had my LLETZ yesterday morning and it went better than i thought it was. I was really quite nervous about it, but i didnt feel a thing. I didnt even feel the anaesthic go in but my heart started to race a bit and i mentioned this and she said it was normal and would go back to normal in a minute or so and it did . It wasnt painful at all and it took around 20 mins or so (she said it wouldnt have normal have taken that long but she had to remove my coil and fit another one, and to be honest this is the only pressure i felt when she inserted the coil). I hope yours goes well <3 

Hi there

I had a painful biopsy experience which led me to having a panic attack, so for the LLETZ I got 2mg Lorazepam from my GP to help calm me down, which was great. 

The LLETZ was a breeze compared to the biopsy. A couple of stings for the injection which were over as soon as they started. I slowly counted out loud from the start of the injections to the removal of the speculum, as this helped keep me calm and manage my breathing. I was up to 91 when it was over. I estimate this whole process was about 3 or 4mins. 

I have had orgasms since LLETZ and they were normal. I didnt eat for 3 days before the LLETZ as I was so scared and there really was no need :-) 

I had LLETZ Thursday and I was a mess before hand but tbh but I actually watched them do it on the screen and it eased my worries becuase I could see what was happening, I think the best think you can do is just have an open mind and make sure you understand that it's to help you so it's worth the anticipation....I'm still in pain but I'm relieved that the cells are gone x

Hi guys thank you so much for your advice and responses. It's very reassuring to hear stories that aren't horrifying! Unfortunately I can't sleep tonight because I'm worrying so much about this procedure I'm actually in tears at the thought of it. I know it's necessary and i have to have it done but the thought of the procedure and the after effects (psychologically) are causing me a lot of anxiety. I have tried to ask my gp to prescribe me diazepam for a biopsy previously and she near enough had a go at me saying she would never prescribe that for that procedure. This has me really upset because correct me if I'm wrong they give diazepam for other unpleasant procedures like colonoscopy. Is that to relax the muscles though?? My gp said she wouldn't be happy with me not being fully "in control " in such a vulnerable procedure, but surely it's my choice? It's not like I'm drugseeking i literally want a prescription for one dose of diazepam! Please can someone advise me I don't know where to turn! 

Also I can't take anyone in with all the virus stuff going on which they would usually advise :( I live with my dad so obviously that isn't an option...

So sorry you are feeling this way, I was exactly the same.

when you get there tell them how you are feeling, I personally had the gas and air and it was brilliant. If they don't offer it don't be afraid to ask for it. I've had a colonoscopy and they sedate you for that as it is quite painful. I've also had a sigmoidoscopy but they don't offer any pain relief for that as they only go up the left side and I'd take 10 colposcopys over one of those. Just remember to relax, I had to keep reminding myself of this as we automatically tense when we're nervous and it makes it worse. 
I was petrified before my appointment and now so anxious waiting for the results frown

Hi all just wanted to give an update and say thankyou for your advice everyone. Particularly lils advice about not being afraid to ask for gas and air!! When i arrived in the room i was already in tears as it felt even more  overwhelming not being able to take anyone in with me. I shared my worries but still wasn't offered gas and air. After coming back into the room I blurted it out and they were absolutely fine with it, even apologised for not thinking to offer it! 

So yeah the procedure went a lot better than I had expected in the circumstances as that reallly helped to take my mind off things. I have had no pain or bleeding since up until today where I had mild cramps and light watery bleeding. 

I agree lil the wait is probably one of the worst parts! Have you heard anything yet? Did they say anything about how it looked when you went in for treatment. They didn't at mine which I'm trying to take as a reassuring sign

Hope you're all keeping well and thanks again for your reassurances ❤

Hi sorry I have only just seen this. 
So glad you found it ok. The gas and air really makes the whole thing more comfortable. No not heard anything yet, have you? Still feeling anxious waiting. No they didn't say anything, I asked if it was bad and she said she thinks CIN2. Recovery is going well. Had a watery brown discharge for a few days settled then last few days has come back with abit of spotting. How are you feeling? 
xx

Hi again

I'm feeling okay today thanks lil, went back to work and had a bit of a meltdown as my manager is a b**ch and had a go at me for something completely out of my control. She hasn't even asked if I'm okay or how it went :(

How are you feeling? 

Im also more anxious now as ive recieved a letter from my local trust about covid. It reads "your clinical team will review your clinical information throughout the coming weeks before making any decisions in terms of pausing your care...apologise that your care is not going ahead in the timescale. If you feel your clinical condition is deteriorating ring 111"

I know its a bit irrational but should i be concerned about this? Has anyone else received a similar letter recently? I feel like they know something i don't as the nurse at the appointment said my results would be through as normal and should just be a follow up in 6 months 

X