LLETZ - Feeling emotional

Hello,

I’ve just had my LLETZ procedure this morning and after returning from the hospital, I am all of a sudden feeling very emotional and cannot hold back the tears :pensive: While I feel physically ‘okay’ at this stage (I believe the general anesthetic may still be wearing off) I feel like a tidal wave of emotions has just hit me, which I was not expecting as so many told me this is a “very common procedure, with quick recovery time.”
I am wondering if anyone else experienced this, and would love the support of those who have been through the same and “get it”
I am also nervous about my results.

Many thanks :white_heart:

1 Like

It is a lot to go through and the whole process is mentally exhausting and draining, I cried a lot after my LLETZ procedure and that’s absolutely ok you have had a procedure done on a very intimate part so it’s completely understandable.

Let yourself feel however you need to feel, the main thing is it’s done they’ve removed the bad cells and they are no longer in your body which is a very good thing.

Even after the results of my LLETZ which showed CIN3 only it took a while for my anxiety and emotions to go away.

Hi Mila
I agree it is a very emotional event it takes it alot out of you mentally!
I felt awful after mine, very weak and shakey but came round after abit. For the next couple of days you’ll feel sleepy, I never really got much pain was very surprised. Make sure you rest I gave up on my usual exercise/boot camp so I could heal properly and get ready for a month of pad wearing! I’m 5 weeks since lletz now bleeding has stopped but daren’t let my husband near me haha he can wait full 6 weeks and even then I’m like urghh what will feel like.

l feel a lot of people including women have no idea how much all of this can effect us, when my mother in law eventually asked me how I was last week she responded with I don’t know why your so worried (my dr is under investigation for not taking the correct biopsy’s last year and sending me to 3 year recall, my period hasn’t shown up since lletz plus my mum passed away from ovarian cancer so it’s bringing back alot of bad memories so yes I’m worried inside but haven’t even voiced these to her lol!). Quite a few ladies I’ve spoken to have said they have hpv themselves so it is surprising how many actually have it but you just don’t discuss it so never know (I’m quite open I don’t mind ppl knowing) although most haven’t had abnormal cells so again don’t understand this next step. I’ve just focused on getting healthy and researching things so I’m more clued up if I need to ask questions in the future.
Hope everything goes well for you, rest up with a treat x

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply. This site is so supportive and nice to connect with people who have been through the same.

You’re right and I think I may have underestimated it a little. I also haven’t had any bleeding yet, is that normal?

Glad to know I’m not alone in this. I hope you are feeling better now too x

Thank you so much for your response :white_heart:
I’m also very sorry to hear about your mum and can completely understand how this would have been even more triggering x
I would be the same with hubby haha - better to wait until you feel 100% ready for it. I am also nervous about how this will feel now.
I think it all just hit me when I got home yesterday and had a big cry on my bed. Feeling a bit better after some cuddles with my dog and some rest. I am meant to return to work tomorrow but am not sure if I’m in the best head space yet!
I was also telling my girlfriends to make sure they get their smears/screens on time! I would normally have delayed mine but so relieved I went on time this year where they picked up on the high grade cell changes in the last 12 months. Am waiting for the results of lletz and hope it’s okay now.
I hope you are feeling better now and good luck with your recovery x

Hi Mila
Thank you it’s the progression side that worries me from my mum as it all happened within 6 months but I have to keep reminding myself it’s completely different to what she had. Glad you’ve got your doggy and friends for support I would see how you feel and go with what your body is telling you (if your job isn’t strenuous I’m sure you’ll be fine tho it’ll prob take your mind off it)

I didn’t bleed straight away it was more like a watery pink discharge that was like I’d wet myself lol then I think around two weeks the scab forms it’s became more darker brown and some times some tiny specks of stuff in guessing scab. I’d read some comments saying they had like an actual clot scab come out but that never happened with me. I had just started my period when I had my lletz but it then disappeared, no period type blood and I’m now due again any day but it hasn’t come yet hopefully it will.

If you’re in the U.K. you can check your nhs app for results mine came around 2/3 weeks although it might not all be visible, as mine was coded and very brief. my sister showed me her nhs app though and she had loads of info available just about her one smear being hpv positive like the full lab report. I’m not sure if it’s because she’s in the medical profession or the way my gp updates my app but worth a look to see. Im currently waiting on mdt meeting to discuss my aftercare I believe as my results were all good fingers crossed. It’s the mdt meetings that seem to drag things on x