LLETZ and general anaesthetic?

has anyone had a LLETZ under general anaesthetic?

still waiting for my colposcopy but my cervix reacts really badly to being prodded poked and irritated so I imagine it’ll be really hard to deal with if I need a LLETZ.

Hi there

Yes, me :-) I am still not quite sure why, as I hardly felt the biopsies, but when the doctor tried to give me the local anaesthetic for my LLETZ, I nearly hit the ceiling. She said I must have a very sensitive cervix. She offered to wait 5 mins and have another go, but said that since I was jumping off the couch pretty and making the needle fall out, we were probably not going to get very far. She suggested switching to a GA, which I went with in the end.

I was trying to avoid it as I thought the recovery time would be longer, and I am self employed so no work no pay. In fact you are only out for about 10 mins and when I came around after I pretty much felt the same as I do when I've just woken up of a morning. I felt mildly dizzy a couple of times in the days that followed, but nothing major. I was in on Friday and back to work the following monday.

Hope that helps! Oh an btw my doc (who was super-nice) did offer GA from the start as I was very nervous and as she put it "we are not in the business of torturing people" so probably if you make your concerns known from the beginning, you'll have the option of a GA.

best of luck, hope all goes well for you

Hi,

Yes, I had a GA two weeks ago. I was dreading it as I have a phobia of being sick but they gave me something to stop me being sick. The procedure took fifteen minutes. I went to OT at 4pm and was home by 6pm. I felt a little woozy and didn't drive the next day but the day after I was fine. Good luck.

I had mine under ga as the colposcopy was agony and dr said too much to remove there and then, thankfully as they did find a tumour after ga which he wouldn't have found if done there and then! I was out a bit longer, went to theatre at 2pm and was there for about 1 hr, didn't get home till 8.30pm and they were nearly keeping me in as my blood was low.

good luck, hope everything goes well and all ok x

thanks everyone <3