LLETZ under General?

Hi

I had my smear test on 9th April (aged 27, was too nervous and put off going before :(). I found the smear itself really uncomfortable and borderling painful - I bled alot and was sore for several days. Last Tuesday I got my letter through saying my results were abnormal (severe dyskariosis) and to book for a colposcopy. I had my colposcopy on Saturday and again it was a really painful and upsetting time - I cried the whole way through and my anxiety since has been through the roof. I am not sexually active (past 3 years) and so I find anything to do with "down there" really uncomfortable so this whole thing is really upsetting me (as I am sure it is for all you ladies)!

My doctor on Saturday was quite unclear as to what will happen next - she took a biopsy and I think she said I need to go for a LLETZ, but I was so upset and shaken at the time I can't remember alot of what went on. My question is, I don't think I could go through anyone rummaging around down there again whilst awake, am I able to opt in for a general anaesthetic? I would much rather this as the emotional trauma for me is just as stressful as the physical pain.

Thanks

Beth

Hi i was exactly the same as you i cried before during and aftwr my smear and the colposcopy was horrendous.

i had lletz under general anaesthetic i would never have been able to have it any other way.

just ask i think they are happier to treat us under GA rather than not at all :) x

I wasn’t given a choice! In saying that, I went through the private health care system in Australia. So I paid for it. However, I’ve now had two lletz under a GA. Whilst it’s great for anxiety and nerves, recovering from a general is worse than the operation itself. But that could just be me. I’m fairly sure you could request it! It’s not the type of operation that can be done if you’re squirming around. Contact your doctor! 

I know exactly how you feel, I actually lost blood pressure during one of my biopsies but what I will say to you is that your recovery time will be much longer if you opt for GA.  I am a lot older than you BUT reasonably fit and had my procedure done under GA on the 7th of March, it really knocked me about after. I also had a loop excision last year which I hated but that was under local and recovered pretty quickly, I went to work the next day.