Incredible pain and swab taken

Hi All,

I finally plucked up the courage to go for my smear yesterday after delaying for a year. It was excruciating, and the nurse noticed redness on the vaginal wall I think. She took a swab as well as the smear.

I told her about the bleeding and pain I have been having, and she said to wait for the swab results and speak to the GP in a week. Now I am worried that I have some red flags and should speak to a GP ASAP, even before the swab results are back. No idea what the swab was for.

Any support or advice would be gratefully received.

Hi JeremyBearimy

The swab is to test for infection. When I went to my GP with symptoms (abnormal vaginal discharge) the first test they did was a swab. I’m not an expert but I’m fairly sure your GP will want to rule out infection before doing any further investigations so I think your nurse has given you the correct advice. I know it’s hard not to worry, but waiting a week will not have any significant effect on your outcome if it turns out you have cancer.

Let us know how you get on.

x

Thank you @Jazza , you’ve eased my worry a little bit! I’ll wait until next week and try to keep my mind on other things until then x