In shock, frightened

Dear ladies, reading your posts on this website has been keeping me going. Unfortunately I have now been told its definitely cancer.
My story… (forgive the long post but cathartic to explain)…I am 55, never missed a smear, never smoked. Had smear in 2018 june all clear no HPV. Going through menopause when I bled after sex in july 2020 and then again I sept 2020 I put down to menopause as no other symptoms. Breathless in feb 2021 and work in hospital so colleague took me for ECG and I have a mild atrial fibrillation on bisoprolol and discharged. I then had bleeding from bowls, had colonoscopy and biopsies all clear apart from ibs and diverticular. I told dr about bleeding after sex and was sent for transvaginal ultrasound. I couldn’t tolerate it and kept bleeding she decided to do over the belly but this hurt due to having an incision hernia from 3 c sections (last 18 yrs ago). Advised my endometrial layer was 4cm which 3 acceptable borderline and nothing she could see concerned her. Sent for colposcopy nurses said when I was there that my symptoms and ultrasound suggested I needed cream for dryness and then blood was possibly that. I toll the cream and asked for a smear as I was due. They said no paperwork so had to go to gp.gl nurse kn holiday so got smear in Aug 2021. Told not to worry sounded very common. Results not back until October 2021. HPV POS and borderline cell changes. Had colposcopy appt. Couldn’t get in far as apparently have prolapsed cervix and so took tiny biopsy. Thus confirmed cine and suspected cancer. Had colposcopy yesterday under GA. Surgeon confirmed cancer VISIBLE so unable to do loop but took 10mm x 10mm biopsy. I have a tumour replacing my cervix which is friable and tethered to the anterior vaginal wall. I am awaiting mri and mdt band histology. I also have had some blood when I wee previous to this appointment which I told her about.
Please please tell me anything positive that someone else has come through this? I M terrified it’s untreatable. Dr says definitely at least a stage 2 but depends if spread and where.
Dr says they are all shocked this has gone so fast given my previously perfect smears.
So so sorry for waffling, it’s the shock. I cannot think of leaving my family and cant afford to be off work

I don’t have advice on your specific situation but I didn’t want to read and run. I do know the anxiety that comes with the unknown though and I’m sorry you’re going through this. It’s much easier said than done but try not to think of the worst case scenario and try not to let your mind wander until you know exactly what you’re dealing with. Cervical cancer is very treatable for many many cases. I hope you have a good support network in place and you find out your staging soon. Huge hugs. x

1 Like

Hi

Sorry to hear that you’ve recently been diagnosed with cervical cancer. I am also 55 and was diagnosed with stage 2b in June. I am 7 weeks post treatment (25 radiotherapy 5 chemo and 3 brachytherapy)

Waiting on the staging is the most difficult part but once you know what you are dealing with you will be able to focus on the treatment.

Treatments these days are excellent just take one day at a time.

If you have any questions just ask.

Take care x

3 Likes

Dear Ellmau,

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve got all this hanging over you - it’s enormously distressing and confusing sometimes. I think what we don’t realise it that the basic smear tests are not always 100% accurate… and issues around vaginal atrophy (making the vagina and cervix friable) with menopause can complicate the matter and make diagnosis difficult. I had a similar story as when I contacted my doctor in the middle of lockdown (March 2020) with passing discharge and some blood post menopause, and a partial prolapse, I wasn’t seen until August 2020 and then given topical estrogen for the vagina (I’m 64). When I still continued to have symptoms I had an ultrasound in November 2020 which was ‘clear’ although I bled a lot with the internal examination. My doctor thought it was 99% certain it was not cancer but agreed to send me for a colposcopy. Like you I had clear smears for 20 years, although I’d had 3 ops to remove precancerous cells before this. I could tell from the colposcopist’s face that all was not well. The smears had been wrong. On 22nd December 2020, after the biopsy confirmed cancer, scans showed I was actually stage 3C2 (so into the vaginal wall and in lymph nodes in pelvis and abdomen). I started chemotherapy and radiotherapy in the second week of January 2021! It was quick, brutal (I was exhausted and still have some bowel issues) but I was ‘No evidence of disease’ in May 2021. It’s curable. The treatment abuses the body, but the body will recover - it’s very effective in killing the cancer. Please take heart. As AMF has said, it’s curable - even stage 4 ladies can be cured. The final test is to remain clear for 5 years - and that’s what we’re all hoping for. Thank goodness they’ve found there is cancer, and will make sure it’s properly identified in terms of spread, and then dealt with. We are all with you here, please keep us updated and take courage. You can beat this! X

5 Likes

Hello the waiting is definitely the worst part, I am like you the tumor has taken over my cervix which is friable, after ct and mri they found a spread to the outside of the back passage, pressing on bladder and maybe some involment with the liver, I have been staged at 4 but they are treating to cure and have said most ladies respond well to treatment and I need a positive mind set to cope( easier said than done) there are lots of ladies here with late stage cancers and reading there stories helps so much, I have a meeting with the oncologist on Friday to discuss a treatment plan so it’s still all new to me to, stay strong we are all here for you xx

2 Likes

Dear ladies what wonderful human beings you all are and how kind of you to offer comfort to others when you are going through so much yourselves.
I thank you so much for your words and I will try and stay positive by thinking of what you’ve all said about how it can be sucessfully fought. I send my very best wishes and lots of love to you all. I’ll keep in touch and hope you will too xx

7 Likes

I understand the fear. I’m 37 also recently diagnosed w cervical cancer. I’m just about to start my treatment next week so I couldn’t offer you much comfort aside from saying that you’re not alone. Like you, I’m glad I’ve found this community of brave ladies our fellow warriors as I’m desperately looking for hope and comfort when I’ve found out I have cancer. I automatically thought I will die soon. I’m not gonna lie I’m still having those thoughts often and so many what if’s but some stories here really inspired me to fight. No matter what stage you’re at, you never know how your body will respond to treatments. Cervical cancer is one of the most treatable cancer and it’s gonna be a journey but we can get through this. I think the best advice I’ve heard was to take one appointment at a time and don’t think too far ahead as you’re gonna overwhelm yourself, it’s okay to cry when you need to, it’s natural to worry but don’t ever lose hope and also lots of prayers. We’re all in this together. Message us when you need someone to talk to. Sending lots of love and strength.xx

2 Likes

Thank you for your sensible and kind words and I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through the waiting game too. I’m strangely getting calmer, maybe
it’s shock, but I’m telling myself now that every day is a day to be enjoyed in any way possible and that although I have no control over how this horrible disease behaves, I do have control over how I chose to let it make me think and behave. And I have decided that I will not allow it to take me. I will not sit and cry under the duvet, as this is one less day/ hour that I’ve got to enjoy doing something else with someone I love…I will try and be positive about being alive today, as tomorrow I could be hit by a bus and all this worrying was for nothing. I know its easier to say than do, but I’m blinking determined this will be my attitude throughout this journey and I know you will find your own way too. Sending lots of love and hugs to all the incredibly brave people on here, as I know it’s not just ladies on here but also their loved ones who read this site to try and get answers and comfort xxx

4 Likes

Hi there

I’m so sorry for what you are going through. I’ve been there and it’s the very worst bit … all the tests to diagnosis. 4 years ago I was diagnosed and it was indeed cancer with lymph node involvement. Once I saw my oncologist and had a plan then everything felt more positive. Long story short they blasted the damn thing and lymph nodes . Gone. I still obviously have check ups but my 5 years will be next year yay. I saw the chemo, rads and Braccy as a means to an end. I made great friends along the way who are still great friends . You will get there. There are many positive stories … people tend not to put them on here as they go on to live their saved lives. I will always try to help as I scoured this forum to find those stories. Good luck and try to stay positive. You can beat it.

11 Likes

Hi great to hear you’re doing well, I love all the positive posts. I am 7 weeks post treatment for stage 2b keeping well and hoping for positive news on first follow up appointment.

Take care xx

4 Likes

Hi . Best wishes for a positive result . Get the Champagne on ice ! X

1 Like

Thank you ladies, I’ll try and find the strength to cope. At the moment I am struggling and having strange times when I look at the general public and want to scream at them for moaning about stupid stuff. I want to tell them to hug their loved ones and live fully each day…but I then cry and wonder why me and I am so very sad for my hubby and boys.
Sure we all feel like this but every day I think will I be here this time next year if i just get radiation because tumour is so large?
Sorry, bad day. Lots if love to you all xxxxx

1 Like

Hi
Please , please don’t worry - a lot of this is curable
I had 2b ,7cm tumour and I’m 4 years post treatment clear.
Have a read of my previous posts.
There is so much support on here and remember, most of us that are recovering well and clear, only dip in to the forum now and again.
Xx

2 Likes

Radiation therapy and chemotherapy is the most effective way of destroying the tumour, so don’t think you’re getting some sub-standard treatment. There is always the risk with an operation that it can actually cause the cancer to spread, and this would mean you’d still have to endure chemo and radiotherapy. Where a tumour is large they always use ‘chemorads’ which treats the whole area. X

Hi everyone I’ve had my start date at last for my chemo it’s the 26th November, then every 21 days after that, very nervous but am looking forward to it working well and being pain free, good luck to everyone on your journey in fighting this horrible thing, stay strong xx

Hi Dawnann

Great that you’ve got your start date not too long to wait now.

There’s no denying it’ll be tough but you’ll do it :muscle:

Keep us posted on your progress.

Take care xx

1 Like

We’re with you in your journey Dawnann and sending lots of love and hugs. You can do this! Xxx

1 Like

Thank you have you had any news yet? Xx

I will thank you xx

No. Have had a bad day tbh. Cns not called when promised ( again) and ringing secretary found my histology was back and cns needed to speak to consultant and promised to call me back results. Also received appointment for MRI with contrast for nearly 3 weeks from colposcopy when told had visible cancer. Cns told.me over phone MRI would certainly be less than 2 weeks (and laughed) …she was wrong. I’ve also been given date my sick pay will end from work…not been a good day. Xx