I'm new and nervous

Hi everyone. So I’ve been having smear tests every 6 months for the past 3 and a half yrs. I got a letter the other day saying I need to go for a colposcopy. Iv no idea what they’ll do or anything? Can someone please shed some light as I’m worried sick as don’t know what to expect? Does this mean I could have cervical cancer?

Hello, sorry that your so worried. Can I ask why you have been having smear tests every 6 months?

Have you had abnormal cells before?

A colposcopy is really nothing to worry about, its so they can have a more detailed look at your cervix. It's basically a camera with a light that stays outside you, they may paint some different liquids on your cervix to see what's there. Feels a bit like a smear. It's uncomfortable but not painful. If they see abnormal cells that can be removed there and then, they will do a LLETZ. theres loads of info about this procedure on this website.

Did you recieve your smear results with you appointment letter? 

Gemma x 

Hi, yes had abnormal cells for the past 3 and a half yrs and that's then just doing something about it now. I'm still waiting on the appointment coming through but I'm so nervous. Iv only had a letter saying that I'll receive a letter within 8 weeks with an appointment to go.x

Ah I see, I'm sure there's not much to worry about then if they haven't called you in until now.

They have more than likely just been monitoring you to see if the cells revert back to normal.

Depending on what CIN you may have they'll do a punch biopsy or a Lletz at your appointment.

Gemma x 

Hi, sorry it's so late but Iv not been able to sleep very well for months now. Iv got the colposcopy in the 28 and so so worried. I don't know what will happen or if it's going to be sore. To be honest I'm petrified.