Hysterectomy and lymph node removal

I had a hysterectomy and lymph node removal done via laparoscopic surgery on 16/02/17.
I was discharged the next day. Holy sugar the pain is unreal. There were no complications and I’m doing well but I was not prepared for the pain. How the flip do I get comfy?
The morphine drip in hospital was great and I considered myself to have a high pain threshold but Ouch!

Hi there lady

well good that you are home we're at least you are in your own bed but bad that you are in pain. 

Do take your meds when directed as it is easier to manage if you do not wait until the pain kicks in. Don't try to be a hero and mange this close after surgury. Rest and don't overdo anything. If you are having an extreme amount or if the pills are not working then don't be afraid to call your dr. Sometimes different meds work better. 

I hope you can get some relief soon!!!

xoxo

Yes. I'm taking everything when I should.  I have to do daily injections too to prevent dvt. 

I just didn't realise how much you use your stomach muscles until they're too sore to even cough lol I'm glad we only get one uterus because I wouldn't do this again. 

2 weeks until the results decide the next course, hopefully it's all done with treatment wise now

Hi LindsayJane :-)

Am I correct to think that the pain is all in the abdomen where the surgery took place? I ask that because I understand that women who have the surgery done laparoscopically usually suffer from pain in their shoulders which is caused by trapped gas that was used to inflate you during surgery. Apparently the trapped gas shoulder pain can be eased with peppermint tea. I had a vertical abdominal incision and surgical steel staples all up my abdomen. My surgery was done on a Wednesday and I didn't dare/couldn't get out of my bed until the Saturday if I remember correctly. But yes, dreadful pain! I could only whisper, not talk properly and my dear old mum came to sit beside me. 'I can't hear you' she said and I told her she would have to move her head closer because I couldn't move and I couldn't talk any louder :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

It's just in my abdomen and round the sides. The incisions look fine and no abnormal discharge so I'm guessing it's just regular pain and I'm being soft. 

I also have a numb area on my right thigh and the left hand side of my foo, it feel so weird like it doesn't belong to me. I'll ring the  hospital tomorrow and check this is also normal. 

Today is better the pain isn't as bad as it has been and I'm so grateful for that 

Hi glad your surgery went well. I had mine last March and I had everything you just described. My incisions weren't sore but my insides felt like they had been in a blender. Your bladder will still be all swollen too. It does get better but mine took a few weeks. I also had the numbness, that took a little while longer to go away, it does feel weird though.

keep on top of your bowel though, try not to get constipated, difficult though with all the pain meds. It makes everything feel so much worse. Everything that's left inside has to readjust and settle down, it just takes time.

i hated those injections with a passion!

hope you feel better soon x

Yes, that numbness is perfectly normal too. The feeling should come back over time.

Which injections Amythyst? I recall having some jabs in my buttocks every other day for a weeek or two but I can't now remember what they were. So painful they made me cry though :-(

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Fragmin are the injections its a blood thinner I believe. Hurts like hell and having the actual will to do it to yourself is tough. My 10 yr old daughter is type 1,  I have no clue how she just troops through it. 

Anyhoo the pain is less today just the odd sharp pulling pain. I quit the codeine it wasn't helping with going to the loo. The nurse called and told me to take a laxative. NEVER AGAIN! Clearly don't agree with me,  my loo saw more of my arse than my husband ever has lol. Sweet baby apples I debated using ice it was awful. 

Laparoscopic incisions looking OK.  I cleaned them and recovered because they're just glued and if one opens I don't want to see it 

Lynsayjane Hi, you are still very early days. You must make sure you rest for the full 6 weeks, rest means do absolutely nothing! I had my op 25/11 and still have the numbness you describe. Apparently its due to the nerves being moved about during the op and could take up to 6 months to settle. I also had the twinges/sharp pains these will settle too, i dont think I get them much now. I took paracetamol regularly to ease the pain and avoid the constipation.

Recovery isn't quick to enjoy the rest and don't rush it. 

Take care :)