HPV low grade dyskaryosis

Hi
I wasn’t going to post anything on here having read so many threads quite similar to mine and seeing all of the positive replies and support put my mind at ease. However having sat on Google and going down a very dark hole over my symptoms I feel like I’m drowning again. My anxiety can not take anymore, I can’t concentrate at work, I’m not sleep, god knows what’s happened to my bowels but I feel like I’m on the toilet more than I’m off it.

I went to my GP In August due to my periods becoming very heavy, I have had an internal scan and ultra sound which both came back clear showing no polyps which is what my Gp suspected. So that was good.
I then had my smear test and the results came back as HPV positive with abnormal cervical cells low grade dyskaryosis, this letter came just before Christmas, I’ve been so scared since. i just can’t seem to control my anxiety, all I think about is CC. I do have my colposcopy on Monday so not too long to wait (I wish I’d found this group sooner).
Will they be able to give me any results on Monday? I don’t think I’m going to be able to cope if I have to wait, I’ve made an appointment with my gp but it isn’t until the 27th Jan to talk about my anxiety in general. Any advice welcome. Thank you for reading. X

Hi @Sarah6

They will be able to tell you what grade they suspect at the colposcopy and whether they think their findings match the smear result, but smears just describe how different cells look compared to normal ones, they dont diagnose the only way to accurately grade them for what they are is through a biopsy so you likely will have to wait for a definitive diagnosis…

although not a diagnostic, low grade smears generally means you should expect CIN1, this grade is normally monitored rather than treated its not seen as a true precancer unless it persists and more often than not it will regress on its own without intervention… moderate smears usually mean a CIN2 diagnosis, this is seen as more of a risk it still has a high chance of regression but its less likelier than CIN1, depending on age and other factors it is still safe to monitor them or treatment can be offered… severe smears usually come back as CIN3, this grade is seen as the true precancer as it is a direct precurser with the next progression step being cancer, there has been many instances that even with this grade there is still cases of regression but since it is the direct precurser its strongly recommended to treat them as soon as possible, it is only acceptable to monitor these changes if theres a case of pregnancy or someone has made the personal request to monitor… when cancer is indicated or suspected from a smear, the results are usually “severe dyskaryosis (?invasion)” which basically means ‘query an invasion’

despite your symptoms, there really isnt anything to suggest you have CC or that they will find CC at your colposcopy/biopsy, low grade changes are so far away from CC and CC has no symptoms in its early stage… we try to advise not to consult DR Google lol he will honestly cause you more anxiety than what its worth the information is so outdated and full of misinformation, im guilty of this myself both me and google convinced me i had atleast stage 3 CC with the symptoms however i had precancerous changes only no cancer was found xx