HPV, low grade dyskaryosis

Hi there, I’m new here and just after peoples experiences really. I recieved my smear test results a few days ago which said HPV positive and low grade dyskaryosis. I’ve got an appointment on 14th Feb for Colposcopy. Alot of threads on here mention biopsies. Can I ask, do they take biopsies for all grades of CIN? I’m CIN 1 and the thought of them taking a biopsy is making me anxious. Thanks xx

Hi

Not sure I can offer much advice, however I got a colposcopy 2 weeks after a smear that showed HPV positive and abnormal cells, it’s didn’t say anything about CIN on my letter and the gynaecologist didn’t mention this either, he did take biopsies and I got back tomorrow for the results. I know that’s zero help, as like I said it didn’t say anything about CIN but what I’ve been told by a friend who is a GP is that taking biopsies can be normal x

1 Like

Thank you for replying to me. I’m a massive hypochondriac and panic about absolutely everything! Everything is worse case scenario here!! I no biopsies are the best things in these circumstances, but I’m just really worried about having one. Some ladies on here have said they hardly felt them, whereas others said its really painful. I hope your results are positive ones xx

1 Like

Hi lovely, I had the exact same nov/dec last year. HPV, low grade dyskaryosis and they did do a biopsy… I barely felt it. The doctor was reassuring and amazing, as were the nurses… so much so the doctor said “I can see exactly what it is even without doing a biopsy”… but he did one to follow procedure. They’ll put you at ease, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. xx

1 Like

Thank you so much for replying. I have sooo many questions but I no when I’m there that I’ll forget everything! Have you had your results confirming that it’s what they said it is? I’m having sleepless nights worrying incase they’ve misdiagnosed me and its worse than we think. I’ve also tried researching but I’ve got to stop as I’ll literally diagnose myself with something completely unrelated! Somethings I’ve read suggests CIN 1 can be caused by low risk HPV and that’s why the body can sort itself out, but then I read all CIN is caused by high risk HPV. I’m actually driving myself mad!! Thank you for reassuring me about the biopsies.xxx

I went back today. My biopsy was clear but I did have CIN3 so they removed the cells today with LLETZ procedure and to get a follow up smear in 6 months. The biopsy’s for me was a precaution as when they done the colposcopy he couldn’t see all my cervix, but I think he knew the cells where CIN3 at the colposcopy I just didn’t ask then. Try not to worry too much. If it’s CIN1/2 they will remove with the LLETZ and this wasn’t painful. Nurse was great holding my hand and talking to me and doctor told me what was happening the full time x

1 Like

@Lisas43 your so brave! Bless your heart. I’m glad it went as well as it could have. Please do keep us posted on any updates. Wishing you well xxx

1 Like

Hi Tee!

I had my smear last year that came back HPV positive, no abnormal cells. This was the third time I had this result so they sent me to colposcopy just to check.

The Colposcopist said during the initial chat that she expected she would see something and may take biopsies. She took three. The first one a slight pinch, the second one a bit painful, the third a slight pinch again. It’s not pleasant, but it wasn’t that bad. The results came back as CIN2 which I had treated last week with cold coagulation. The worst bit of the treatment was the local anaesthetic, but it’s over very quickly.

They may take biopsies of your CIN1, or they may watch and wait for your next smear, as CIN1 can often clear up by itself. It depends what they see during colposcopy.

Easier said than done, but try not to worry. It’s much like a smear and if biopsies are taken, it’s over very quickly. I was in and out in 10 minutes, this included the initial chat and getting changed into the gown. It was the same for the treatment, in and out very quickly :slight_smile:

1 Like