HPV+ & CIN 2 - What's Going On?!

Hey Everyone! :slight_smile:

So i have no idea what is going on…

I went for my cervical screening / smear test in May and have been waiting for the results… I contacted my GP last week to chase it up, but still nothing… Then, Saturday morning I get an automated phone call saying I have an appointment at the hospital and to press 1 to confirm… I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT ANY APPOINTMENT! So after calling the hospital and speaking to someone they told me I had a colposcopy booked, I asked what was going on as I knew nothing and she said the letter was only posted yesterday so they shouldn’t be calling me yet as I hadn’t even had my results through. Obviously the worrying starts. I get home later that day and find a letter with my results… HPV positive and High-grade (moderate) dyskaryosis. So the whole weekend I have spent worrying and googling everything. My doctors isn’t open at the weekend so this morning (Monday) first thing I did was to call the doctors and ask to speak to someone about my results as I have SO many questions… The lady on reception told me they knew nothing about it and I couldn’t speak to a doctor yet because they hadn’t had anything come through on their end about my results. She asked me who sent the letter / booked the appointment and if there was any contact number for them, but there isn’t… This just worries me more as now I’m thinking that the testing people must think I need to be seen ASAP as they have completely bypassed the doctors and scheduled a colposcopy for 1 week later…

Is this the normal process? My mind is literally everywhere at the minute. I feel like I can’t speak to anyone with medical knowledge and as much as family and friends say don’t worry… I’m worried!

xo

It’s understandable to be worried, especially when any communication feels a bit disjointed or out of order.

After my smear test, I got a letter straight from the hospital with my results, and then the colposcopy appointment rather than anything via my GP. In fact I think the colposcopy appointment came through first in the post, and then the results.

I’ve since been copied in on letters the hospital have sent to my GP and they’ve always been several weeks behind the news I’ve had from the hospital directly. I think the admin process for updating GPs can be quite slow and the hospitals just do their thing, getting in touch with the patient, and they let the GP know later.

Being called in quickly doesn’t necessarily mean anything. They might have slots in the diary they can fill and it isn’t anything to do with your results.

I know that doesn’t make it any less scary but the main thing is they’ve detected the HPV and the dyskaryosis and they’re looking into it. The waiting is always really tough…you’ll find most of us on here will say that. Hang in there, take one day at a time, and try not to go down the Google rabbit hole. Xx

Hi I’m in a similar position to you except my colposcopy department seems to have the longest backlog ever and they can’t tell me when I’ll be seen even though my initial letter said an appointment will be given within 2 weeks xxx so I think it’s best not to Google and just be thankful the appointment is very soon and you’ll know more very soon
Take care x