Awaiting Colposcopy

Hi Ladies,
Yet another newbie! I’m so pleased to have come across this site,and I have to say,having spent days reading the posts I’m in awe of you all! Talk about girl power!
Anyway in brief, had my routine smear on 19th April, my first 5 year one as I’m now 55. Having had no symptoms I was gob smacked to receive a letter directly from Colposcopy Clinic with an appt for Friday 6th May. No results from what my smear showed and despite calling gp etc,it seems I will have to wait until my appointment to find out what CIN…or worse I may have!
2 questions really,
Can I assume that as I have had an appt within the 2week timescale I probably have CIN2/3 ?
Also ,18 months ago I had lots of tests and then treatment for benign polyps ( oh the joy of being a woman) , I had vaginal scan, examination under ga and subsequent polyectomy, am I being too optimistic that anything untoward on my cervix would have been picked up then. ?
The absolute worry this is causing ! I have recently changed my job as I worked with Marie Curie,and dealing with cancer on a daily basis was so upsetting, and now 2 weeks later…this! Sods Law I guess.
Thanks for listening everyone,and any info on what I can expect would be really appreciated
Sending healing hugs to everyone.
Bren xx

Hi 

I was also sent a 2 week appointment (which I missed due to a cock up!) the letter said my  smear was abnormal but nothing specific & it turned out, when I phoned cervical screening Wales in a panic, that it was because it had showed HPV (Have had previous abnormalities/lettz) Colposcopy today has revealed a slightly different story but your letter may not mean an abnormality either, fingers crossed!

So hard not to worry isn't it!

xxx

Hi, thank so much for responding.  Well yesterday I received my test results through the post, high grade dys, which is what I kind of expected.  I don't know if it is moderate or severe, but as I have my Colposcopy tomorrow I'm sure all will be revealed.....literally!!!!! 

So glad to have found this site but tbh it freaks me out, reading how many of you lovely ladies are diagnosed with cc, through screening, with no symptoms. I realise how lucky I am, as I am post menopausal, and have lots of wonderful children and grandchildren, so fingers crossed tomorrow will set my mind at rest a little.  

Am I right in assuming I will have lletz as I'm attending a see and treat clinic? Is it really awful? I have read posts ranging from excruciating to painless, so I suppose it's a very individual thing..

I hope you a remaing symptom free. 

Hugs

Bren xx

Hi brenda1960 I had my colposcopy almost 4 weeks ago still waiting for results from my biopsy. I had lletz at the same time they said because of my result high grade dys that they treat you on the same day. 

I honestly expected it to hurt like hell and I never felt a thing during or after so fingers crossed it all goes well for you too. Good luck xx

Hi 

Yes I would think they'll likely do it tomorrow. I have never felt pain during biopsy or lletz and I'm sure they usually give you anaesthetic which doesn't hurt either. I dont know what happened yesterday that made the biopsy so painful unless last time I had a biopsy it was when I had lletz and they'd already numbed it, God knows. 

xxx

Thank you Ashley 29 and Jazjo 04, it's so kind of you both to offer reassurance.  Can you believe I have spent the WHOLE  day on the Internet and having a consultation with Dr Google!!!!!! Silly I know but can't help myself. 

Ashley, from what I've read it would seem that most ladies with bad biopsy results are informed pretty quickly, so as it's been 4 weeks I think you can feel very positive! 

Jazjo, I hope you are feeling more comfortable and can soon put all this behind you. 

Hugs

Bren x

Thank you Brenda1960, I feel so silly because I still feel strange & my partner as usual doesn't know what to do when I'm emotional which makes me even more emotional! 

Hope all goes ok for you tomorrow I'm sure it'll be fine. I can easily believe the all day on the internet thing suppose it's sort of a distraction from just worrying! 

Xxx

Awww Jazjo, you really shouldn't feel silly, I don't think men, no matter how understanding they are can really imagine how these things make us feel, it's not just physically but emotionally draining.  It makes us feel vulnerable. I like to think I'm a level headed, reasonably intelligent middle aged woman, but this has me a jibbering wreck! 

I'm sure in time this will be a distant memory for you, thank you again for taking time to reassure me.  My appointment tomorrow isn't until late afternoon so I'm planning to clean my house until an inch of its life!!!! Fingers crossed I will be back on here tomorrow evening feeling a little less worried. 

Hugs

Bren x 

Haha brenda1960 I think we all turn to Dr google we all end up on this amazing site I'm so glad I found it. Yes I have noticed this too the longer the wait you seem to get the cin diagnoses so fingers crossed. I just feel like my postman will get a restraining order out against me soon for stalking him if they dont hurry up haha.

Good luck with your biopsy tomorrow and I hope after going you come away feeling a bit better about this horrible situation. If you have any questions you'd like to ask them make a list I went in and totally forgot anything I wanted to ask I left kicking myself and again turning to google to answer my questions 

Thanks hun,that's a good tip. 

One good thing to come out of our sad situations.....we have an army of postmen who think they have suddenly become irresistible to women lol. 

Take care

Hugs

Bren x

Hi ladies, Just thought I would pop by and let you know how my colposcopy went. 

Been home an hour and feeling fine. I met with the consultant who told me my high grade dys showed 'moderate' changes. This was a good start as I had convinced myself it was gong to be 'severe'. Went through for the colposcopy,upon applying the 'vinegar' he told me that he could see a small area of white , he went on to say that if I had been younger (I'm 55) he would have been happy to leave it and keep a check but as I wasn't going to be having babies that maybe we should just go for the lletz and get it sorted. This really made me feel positive. The lletz itself was absolutely fine, a little stingy when he injected the local , and then just a feeling of pressure. The worst part was just my own nerves, a week of go ogling and worrying ! I won't  count my chickens of course because until biopsy results come through we can't be sure that it isn't cc, but I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. 

I hope this post alleviates some of the fears any of you may have, especially of the lletz procedure.....it really is only uncomfortable at worst.  

Hugs

Bren x

Hi Brenda I'm so glad the lletz wasn't too bad for you. Im sure they have gotten rid of it all for you but yes until these results come back you can't help but worry its natural. My post man didn't even stop by my house today its very frustrating I hope you don't have to wait too long. Thank you for keeping us updated and big huge hugs xxxxxx

Morning Ashley 29. 

I hope you get your results today, maybe the postie is just to nervous to walk up your drive lol ! Joking aside hun it must be so stressful ,all the waiting .

At the moment I'm still in relief mode, that I wasn't told I had only 24hrs to live yesterday, and that my lletz is over with. Incidentally, so far no pain,cramps or bleeding.Is that normal?

I guess I will soon start to worry about test results !

Keep me posted sweetheart 

Hugs

Bren x

Morning Brenda, yeah that's totally normal some people get away with no bleeding at all but don't be alarmed if you start to bleed in a few days I started a few days after. Also another thing to look out for is little black bits sounds awful lol but this is normal too. 

Thank you Brenda I hope today is the day too I will let you know. I found the first 2 weeks I was very calm about it all but the longer it's dragging the more time your brain has to torture you and most the time your brain is worse then Dr google lol xx

Yuck. ....lots too look forward to then ! Seriously tho if that's all I have to deal with I will be truly blessed!

Remember the 'no new's is good news' mantra !!!

Try to enjoy this beautiful weekend weather hun.

Hugs 

Bren x

Hi Brenda how you feeling you still ok? Well my results didn't come if they're not here tomorrow I think I'm going to ring up. I know they won't be able to tell me over the phone but they can at least tell me if they're back yet. I'm up in gloomy Newcastle we haven't had this 'heatwave' that was promised haha typical xx

Bless ya Astley, no results and no heatwave!  Good idea to call tomorrow as things can go missing in the post....except bills of course. I'm totally convinced you will be fine ! 

I'm feeling absolutely normal , whatever that is. Keep expecting some sort of bleeding and pain but as yet nothing. I have read it can take a week or more to kick in tho so I'm not going to be too blasé. 

I think in another few days the "waiting for results panic" will hit, at the moment I'm still in the relief the lletz is over bit!

Keep me posted sweetheart 

Hugs

Bren xx

Astley? ???pesky predictive text lol 

Glad it went ok Brenda :) 

xxx

Thanks Jazjo.  Still awaiting results but only been a week. How are you? Ashley hasn't been on line so I'm hoping her results were all good and she doesn't need to visit us anymore!

Hugs

Bren  x