Colposcopy appointment arrived no other info

Hi there,

I had my smear test in Sept and heard nothing until today when I got an appointment for the colposcopy clinic for Monday 23rd Nov. 

There was a standard “cervical screening” leaflet with this appointment note and no other information. 

The letter itself had no info on whether I am hPV + or the grade of changes detected. Is this unusual? I am based in Northern Ireland if this makes any difference. 

I had one smear when when I turned 25, was due one at 28 but I fell pregnant, then fell pregnant again when my first was 8 months and had not yet gotten around to booking in. So I am behind. I had really bad pelvic girdle pain during my pregnancy and have had lingering back pain post partum in addition to fatigue which I am now putting 2&2 to make 5 and thinking these other symptom and are related to something cervical. In addition to o the appointment being so soon and no other information on the letter. I am FREAKING OUT. I’ve been on google all day. I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old and they need me.

apologies for the ramble and the catastrophising hut I can’t help thinking the worst ??

some words of reassurance needed.

thanks

Hi, just to say that following on from my smear test, I'd had no results at all when I received a phone call from the hospital to book me in for a colposcopy. They couldn't tell me why or any further information. A letter followed a few days later with all the details / results  - perhaps one is on its way to you? The waiting is definitely the worst bit. Hope you get some answers very soon x

Hi LilyS31, 

So sorry to hear you are stressing, I am actually in a similar position - had my smear at end of Sept and hadn't had my result letter but got a letter from hospital on sat saying I had been referred. I don't know why and haven't been able to speak to anyone to get answers as GP closed over weekend and no one at hospital would give me my results over the phone.

Like you, I've been on Google all weekend (against my better judgement) and totally freaked myself out but have spoken to 2 good friends who both have had a history of abnormal smears and various colposcopy apps and treatment and they were SO reassuring.

Think it's pretty much standard to get referred for a colposcopy if you have any cell changes just so they can get a better look and decide if any treatment needed. They said it's not a big deal and reminded me that any treatment needed will most likely be preventative, and that it's quick and easy to have cells zapped off, if that is what's required. 

Sending big hugs your way and hope you can speak to your GP tomoz to get more info and hopefully put your mind to rest a wee bit! 

Xx

I hope you're ok. I received my results by letter but I called my drs first and she called me back to say I will be referred. I was a wreck, choked during the call and then proceeded to cry and then plan for the worst. 9/10 it's fine and the smear is there so they can act before things get bad, apparently it takes around 10 years for abnormal cells to develop into cancer, if at all. Just be aware I thought the colposcopy would be the end of it but my dr took a biopsy which I now have to wait up to 4 weeks for. So be prepared for that because I wasnt and I've felt the same since then as I did after my colposcopy referral. Stay strong and try and take your mind off things, maybe call the hospital to see if theres any cancellations? Thinking of you I completely get it x