How long are smear test results taking?

So I had my smear test 6 weeks ago today and haven’t had the results yet. The nurse said there was a bit of a delay but didn’t say how long, does anyone know?
I had a positive hpv result last year so am a bit anxious to get the results to see if it’s cleared.

I have been waiting for my results for 8 weeks as of today. I am East Sussex and my smear has been sent to Surrey so I assume there is like one lab covering a lot of the South East. I followed up at 5 weeks and was told there was an 8 week backlog. Where are you based?

Hi there im Northern Ireland an i waited 5 months exactly an i had to do a fair bit of chasing to get them xx

I am in Hampshire (pretty close to the Surrey border) so seems likely mine would’ve gone to the same place. Hope you get yours soon! It’s such a long time to wait isn’t it!

Gosh 5 months!! That’s ridiculous!

Dont chat it was just a routine smear but id had a baby from my previous one an of course you worry about it i had smear in Sept i rang loads i spoke to a locum doctor in Jan he told me to do a repeat as nothing on computer i refused i then spoke to my own doctor she rang the lab an they had it a week later the hospital rings me telling me consultant wants to see me regarding my smear results i started bawling down the phone asking why as i hadnt received my smear results the girl on phone was taken back by that an told me to ring my doctors surgery as they had them an should have been sent out to me it caused me alot of stress i had minor changes an HPV xx

Also i didnt get these results til February there xx

I live in Northern Ireland and I waited on a waiting list to have my actual smear for months I think I joined the list last may then received the smear aug then I got my results in Jan if this year the first week as well as the letter invite to coloposcopy unfortunately I am currently receiving treatment for stage 3c1 looking back I would say I’ve had cervical cancer symptoms for 3 years.

I’m from northern Ireland and I do know there is still a delay with smear results as family has been awaiting a long time for results possible 6 weeks minimum

I wish u luck and love xxx

1 Like

Hi @Hope3 sending you lots of love an strength im sorry you had such a long wait i experienced the exact same wait on smear results its terrible here.Hope you dont mind me asking as i too am from Northern Ireland im currently waiting on the biopsy results from colopscopy was yours long in getting back to you? Xxx

1 Like

My biopsy results were back within 2 weeks I was unfortunate diagnosed with stage 1 cancer after biopsy but following the actual MRI scan it’s stage 3c1 currently iny second week of treatment here at cancer centre in Belfast, i truly wish you all the best please keep me posted what your result is x

3 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me @Hope3 i will keep you posted mines still not back 4 weeks at min but i was told 4 to 6 i hope everything goes ok for you :two_hearts: main thing is your getting seen an getting it sorted out an if you ever need a little chat im here too im great at giving advice not so good at taking it myself :see_no_evil: big hugs to you xxx

I’m having the same problem. It’s been 12 weeks since my smear test. HPV showed up last year. Was at nurse last week and told not to worry too much as they don’t know when the results are going to come! Doesn’t help much. I’m really quite worried but nowhere else to ask.

Hi @Anne1 sorry to hear you’re having the same issue. Mine was 10 weeks in the end and I did chase the results with the GP but not sure if that made any difference or not (probably not). Unfortunately I still had HPV and also some borderline changes so have to have a colposcopy next week :frowning: Hope you’re results come soon and are better xx

Sorry to hear that Loulou73 Hope everything turns out all right for you. :crossed_fingers:x

Mine came in at 8 weeks with letter received at 9 weeks. I was HPV+ with CIN 1.

Hi. Just received my smear test results. That’s been 12 weeks. This was a follow up from last year as it showed HPV. Well I’m still showing it and now as well there are changes to my cervix so have to go for a colposcopy next week. At least it’s not too long for that. Trying to keep calm!

Hi. Hope everything goes ok for you. Anne x

I’ve been waiting 9 weeks and still don’t have mine. I have chased my GP twice but everytime I call they tell me they can’t chase the results up, all they do is send the test away. At a bit of a loose end!

Hi. My results took just over 12 weeks. I contacted my doctor too with no help either. Hope yours come soon. Anne x