Home from Radical Hysterectomy

Hi ladies, just got home from my rad hys. My surgery was done 7th of April (Thursday) at 7am. It lasted for about 4 hours.
Luckily, did not feel any pain, except of course for the discomfort of post operation. I had spinal epidural (regional)anesthesia.

My catheter was removed the next day and although at first I found it difficult to urinate, the nurses did hot and cold compress to the bladder area. My doctor made me drink 1 liter of water and I finally was able to do it.

Peppermint tea really helped for the gas! Thank you ladies for the tip.

The doctor discharged me today as he saw me fit to have the rest of recovery at home. Im feeling quite fine and just waiting for my results from the surgery- praying that it’ll be all behind me.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Hugs, hugs, hugs…

Izzy
early 2014 - normal pap test
2014-2015 - deep regrets for missing my gyne visit
feb 2016 - pap results HGSIL
march 2016 - cone biopsy initially at 1b1
end of march - re evaluated and downgraded to 1a2
april 7, 2016 - radical hysterectomy (ovaries transposition)
awaiting results

Hi Izzy I am so pleased to hear you have your surgery over you and it sounds like you are doing well. Try and rest as much as possible to give your body time to heal. I wish you a full recovery lots of love xx

Blimey that was quick! And no catheter too! Sounds like you are a lucky woman! Remember, for the next several weeks you must lift nothing heavier than a wine glass! ;-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Great thats the surgery over for you Izzy, learn from me and rest, rest,rest! Im 18days post my surgery and have had days where I have tried to be superwoman and do normal things, a big NO! You are so lucky to get the catheter out so quickly i had to endure mine for 9 days!  I got my results back this week and all ok so no chemo required, fingers crossed you'lll be the same x

Hi Izzy,

Did you do anything special to get the catheter out so soon?  Remember having the 'can't pee' issue after having my son and them not letting me out for days until I could go on my own.  I'm dreading going through that again!!!

Jo x

Hi ladies, thank you for your comments. You all have been lovely and helped me get through the past weeks with your kind words and support as well as some really help ful information.

Hello Jo, nothing special actually. I remember my doctor telling me thats how they do things, early removal of the catheter among others- its called the ERAS protocol. Although not evryone follows this practice.

They observed how my bladder was working within 24 hours of surgery. Then seeing that I was urinating frequently, decided to remove the catheter by the next day. Like I mentioned in the previous post, they did hot and cold compress to the bladder area. Then had me drink loads of water. After that I guess it was my mind telling me to just do it.

At the moment, Im able to pee but like everyone else there's still the discomfort of post op, being sore and all plus the difficulty of moving around. But as always, my optimistic self knows all these shall pass.

Dont hesitate to send me a message if you want to ask anything else. xox

Hi my loveys, saw my doctor yesterday for my results and they were all clear. Thought I'd share the news and wish the other ladies the same outcome! Thank you once again for all the love and support and kind words.

Anyone with questions or need someone to talk to, dont hesitate to send me a message. Sending all of you lots of hugs! Keep thinking happy thoughts ladies and stay positive! xxx

Love,

Izzy