Just home after radical hysterectomy

Had my rh on Thursday 24/3 and got home a few hous ago, sore but feel better than I thought. Peppermint tea definitely helps!

Glad you are home and wishing you a speedy recovery xx

Great to hear your surgery is behind you and that you're feeling ok. Anxious to have mine behind me! Hope you have a quick recovery!

Wishing you all the best Shazzal I hope you continue to make a full recovery. Big Hugs xx

Thanks ladies I'd say the most frustrating thing is the catheter which I need to keep till next Friday. The gas they pump into your tummy to inflate it is a pain, it's trapped at my shoulder and rib cage just now. Other than that sore but nowhere near as bad as I imagineed it would be.

when are you going in Bethhouli? Message me if you want to ask anything. Good luck xx

Wishing you a speedy recovery shazzal - take it SLOW :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Shazzal - Great to hear you are doing well! I was just wondering if you have any hints or tips or ideas on what I should expect as I go in for my radical Hyseterctomy on Tuesday (im a 1b1 AC CC). Im starting to get a little nervous now so would be nice to hear from someone who has been through the same thing.

thanks xx

Hi Claire you are the same as me. Drink lots of water, I struggled with eating just no appetite, hindsight I should have taken some crackers or something In with me. Managed soup but sometimes just the smell of the food was enough to turn me off. Def rest as much as possible. If you get any aches or pains tell them right away, I had terrible pain in my chest and got sent straight  away for ct scan to rule out blood clot. Have to say all my Drs, nurses were amazing. Someone said peppermint tea would help with the gas and it def does so take some peppermint tea bags with you. I took a whole load of stuff in with me, magazines, kindle, crosswords but all I wanted to do was sleep. Good luck xx

Oh and the best bit of foreplanning, I got one of those big v shape pillows for my bed, big snugly one!

Great to hear all went well and that you feel ok. Good luck for the rest of your recovery. 

Claire, I took in figs/prunes to chew on as my consultant said I couldn't go home til I had my bowels open! Hope your op goes smoothly. X

Hi I'm glad your op went well and youre not suffering too much.

I'm due to go for mine on the 18th and wanted some advice on the best type of pants to buy for after the op? 

Jo x

Hi Jos, big comfy ones! Be prepared to have a catheter in for a while though, I've got mine till Friday. Some ladies who had hysterectomies same day as me got theirs out same day and I was told radical hysterectomy much more invasive and bladder needs a rest. Also for coming out of hospital, big loose pj bottoms or trousers. 

Also never make the mistake I did last night, took all my painkillers on an empty stomach and was very sick, dopey me! Still feel crappy today.

Great your on the mend get well soon 

Hi JoS

Not sure if you're talking about knickers or trousers here but for knickers, big ones, nothing that will irritate your incision/dressings, and not a string becuase you may need to wear pads for a while. For trousers, I swear by harem pants or jog bottoms. You can forget about skinny-fit jeans for a long time :-)

Hope that helps

Tivoli

Thanks for the tips guys.  Think I'm going to have to go shopping as I am a string and skinny jeans girl!!! How long does the bloating last for?

Shazzal, I'm sorry you were sick after taking your painkillers.  My OH is always going on at me about doing that.  I hope you feel better soon.

I'm taking painkillers at the moment as I've torn my Hamstring.  I don't think I am having a radical but they are taking my tubes out too.

Jo x

Hey JoS

It depends hugely on how the surgeon tackles your op. I had a vertical incision which ran from the top of my pubic bone up to and around my navel. It isn't now nor will it ever be the same again, it's not simply a bloating issue. You may well find that your surgeon is more of an artist, but if you are going to have your abdominal wall cut through all the way from outside to inside, don't imagine that it will heal up like nothing ever happened. I am now over 4 years since surgery and at least the scar is paling now to match the surrounding skin. Still looks a bit like an elephant's arsehole though, if you ask me :-) I hope I haven't frightened you. I was not told I would be having a vertical incision and it came as a horrible shock. Hopefully your team will have the courtesy to explain to you exactly what's going to happen before it does :-)

Tivoli

Thank you for sharing this Shazza, I'm having same surgery on 25th April, reassured xxxx

Feel so much better today, got catheter out and all ok. Feel best I have for about 6 months, long may this continue. Only real issue is tummy swelling. Mine was keyhole so I have 5 incision sites, only one aches, rest you wouldn't even know they were there. I had my gallbladder removed by keyhole about 15 years ago and that was def way more painful than this. I hope I'm not in for a rude awakening! Tummy now looks like a join the dots though, haha!

So happy to hear you're doing so well and you got rid of the catheter. Your experience is certainly making me feel less anxious about my surgery in a couple weeks!

shazzal did you have lymph nodes removed to ? I go in for my rh on the 12th and doctors already told me catheter has to stay in for a week so at least I'm expecting that I've taken note of your tips so thanks for that hope you continue to make a good recovery :)