Day 3 post op radical hysterectomy with removal of ovaries & lymph nodes

So I’m on day 3 and doing better today was hoping to be discharged this afternoon but unfortunately not!
I had a bad back before I went into theatre so I think this has delayed my recovery , wounds are healing well (keyhole) but the gas build up is terrible ! I look like I’m 9 months pregnant and just want to pass wind and burp all the time (so ladylike)!!
I’ve drank lots of peppermint water and that’s helped a little but I still feel like the"elephant woman" any other hints and tips would be welcome.
Got emotional this morning and woke up feeling empty and was crying a lot so they have started me on HRT (Premarin)625 is anyone else on this ?

Well how nice to hear from you!  Glad everything went well.  Sounds like you'll be heading home very soon.

The dreaded gas! Mine wasn't too bad, but I did drink buckets of peppermint tea and walking around helped get everything moving.

Hope you feel better soon.

t x

Glad to hear you are past the worst of it. As Teresa says, walking about gently moves things about a bit and you can look forward to a refreshing monster fart :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Sorry you're not getting to go home as soon as you'd have liked. I hope the 'pregnant tum' eases off soon. I'm interested in your progress as I have my op next week on the 8th.

Hi ladies 

thanks for the replies.

I got home a few hours ago had a shower & washed my hair (but strange with a catheter fitted) but I feel much cleaner !!

Nice to have a lovely welcome home , Hubbie & kids had banners , balloons & flowers & cards all up which was a teary moment.

I have peppermint tea & peppermint water from the hospital so will keep drinking that and looking forward to being able to fart (just hope that's all that comes out!!!)

Got to go back in next Monday as a day patient and have catheter removed and to check my waterworks are working ok and then 2 weeks today my Op results will be back so fingers crossed no further treatment needed!

Girl with the most cake ... Wishing you all the best for next week for your Op any questions fire ahead !

Mel xx

Hey Mel!

defo the more you move the more that gas will budge !!! could you do some extremely gentle stretches at all ?

its so weird with the catheter in at home isn't it ? I remember thinking it atleast allowed my to sleep quite well as I didn't need to get up for the toilet ! Ha ha ! 

friends came round to see me with mine in and we had an awkward hug moment where the bag of wee came in between is !

onwards and upwards for you too! Every day you're gonna get a little better ! do you have some good films and boxsets and books ?

your welcome home sounds amazing !!!xxxx love xxxx

You did it and you're home!  How bloody nice is that?

Rest up and drink buckets of fluids. Gentle walking around your house, do not over do the stairs. Do not pick up anything heavier than a bag of sugar. No housework or crap like that!

Sleep well baby and take it easy.  Bowels take a little while to kick back in so I used a gentle stool softner.

Keep us posted.

love t x

Forgot to mention...

My nurse in hospital folded up a sheet and laid it across my belly.  she said that some people find the slight weight helps and funnily enough, it did. Thought I'd pass it on in case it works for you too.

t

Thank you for your well wishes,

yes the wee bag is a strange thing I keep thinking I need to go for a wee then I look down and think oh no I don't I've just been !!

how is your treatment going ?

I saw you have had some chemo / radio due to lymph node results (I will know in a Few weeks if that's needed)

Mel xx

Thanks Hun for the well wishes.

Like the idea of laying something across my tummy , I think the pressure may help will defiantly give that a go !

hope all is well with you ?