History of Abnormal Cells but Refused colposcopy

Hi there,

Thanks in advance for reading & sorry for the essay!

Any advice on my experience would be appreciated. In 2020 I had about 4 weeks of passing bloody discharge. I was up to date on my smears but as this was out of the ordinary I was referred for a colposcopy. This came back with CIN1. I had a follow up smear in July 2021 that came back with no abnormalities.

In Dec 2021 I then had about 12 days of unexplained bleeding (I’m on the pill and it wasn’t my pill free spell). My GP examined me, took swabs & mentioned 3 white spots on my cervix (possibly scars from previous colposcopy). Once my swabs were clear, she said she wanted to refer me for a colposcopy again due to my recent history of CIN1. In early January I had my pill free week & had the period from hell on day 1. I bled through about 5 tampons in 5 hours, 1 of which lasted 15 mins & I bled through my clothes (and of course I was at the park walking the dog with no pads or tampons at the time!!). I spoke to my gp again & she said she wanted to also refer me for an ultrasound.

Today I went to the gynae appointment, I had the scan & saw the consultant. Basically she has said I don’t need a colposcopy because my scan is clear, it isn’t post-coital bleeding (it wasn’t last time either!) & because my smear in July was clear. She repeatedly mentioned it all being due to age & hormones - I’m 39. I found this experience very disheartening, and feel like I have to just have to take her word for it that everything is ok. She didn’t examine me. I asked if there was any possibility that the smear result last year was incorrect and she said no. Surely smears are a good indicator but not 100% accurate. Anyhow, I am now at a loss as to whether this type of bleeding is now acceptable & if it reoccurs should I just put it down to age & hormones?! And not call the doctor.

I’m feel so disappointed and let down.

Hi bisto
Sorry you are going through this , had almost similar experience as you , am 38. Mine turned out to be hpv and hsil which was treated with a successful lletz I thank God.
Last week I had my second dose of gardasil vaccine yeeeh one more to go.
If it’s possible for you, can you go private and do the smear test also hpv test I hear can be done at home . All the best .

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much for your reply. It’s nice to hear I’m not the only one. I managed to get a call with a GP yesterday, who sounded a bit shocked about my experience. She said what with your recent history of CIN1. She also said it was rude for the consultant to not even examine me.

I have decided to go for a private colposcopy and will ask about a HPV test too.

I’m pleased to hear you got the treatment you needed.

Take care

Hi Bisto
Good to hear you decided to go private for colposcopy, all the best and let me know how it goes .