Abnormal bleeding but clear smear

Hi,

A bit of background really, last year at my first smear at 25 my results were HPV and CIN1. I went for the colposcopy which confirmed my smear results and to come back in a year. My anxiety during this time was through the roof!

Before lockdown, I luckily got in for my follow up smear. The results came back negative for HPV so now they will see me every 3 years, obviously I felt like I had a tonne weight lifted off my shoulders. 

Now strangely, since the smear, I've had a very small amount of bleeding or brown discharge after sex. The first couple of times I put this down the post period or ovulating time etc but eventually after a few times these reasons didn't justify it anymore.

I went to my GP who gave me a general pelvic exam with the speculum, completed the norm swabs for STDs etc. She did say my cervix looked normal but mentioned a tiny polyp or ectropian and white discharge (TMI, sorry) but nothing to worry about I kind of zoned out I think. A week later, my results said thrush (lovely) so my partner and I took the meds and cream etc and thought we'd hold off on sex whilst we fixed ourselves as such. 

And then, as expected, for the first time after I bled after sex. It's now the weekend so my GP isn't open. I plan on phoning on monday straight away but I'm obviously sick with worry and very unsettled. I know noone can diagnose me on here but would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced anything similar. My partner obviously just keeps going back to the fact I had a clear smear 2 months ago and the GP said my cervix looked healthy, but my mind is just everywhere. Google is not my friend either. Some say it may be my contraceptive pill but I've been on that for 10 years with no issues

Hi, I saw your post around a week ago but wanted to respond to you after having myself checked out so I could give you some hope.

I had my first ever smear in 2014 came back clear. My second smear in 2018 came back HPV positive and the colpocopy confirmed it was CIN1. I was told it should go away on its own and put on yearly smears. In 2019 my smear came back HPV negative and the letter said 'any abnormal cells will have cleared themselves.' I called my GP and asked how are they sure my CIN1 has gone and they said CIN1 can only progress/get worse with HPV present and since I was HPV negative then I don't have to worry but to continue to have smears every 3 years.

I was releived and few months after came of the pill to start TTC for my second baby. In early 2020 however I started bleeding after sex. Sometimes I'd notice it straight away, sometimes it would be the next morning. I went to see my GP who took a swab from my cervix for any STIs and this came back negative. I continued to notice the blood, once or twice a month so went back to my GP again. She said any bleeding from the cervix would need to be checked by the Gynaecologist and she refered me. She did take a look at my cervix and could see a small ectropian.

I was a little worried and made myself believe the CIN1 has progressed and what she saw wasn't an ectropian but abnormal cells getting worse. With covid19, 2 months went by and I didn't get any letters confirming my appointment. I rang my GP and said I continue to see blood and would like an urgent referal which they put through after my persistence.

So last week I went to see a gynaecologist; first appointment the nurse checked my cervix and said it looked like an ectropian but she would put me down for a colposcopy to make sure CIN1 has gone. Few days later I went for the colposcopy and they confirmed no abnormal cells whatsoever but there was a small ectropian. The gynaecologst was getting ready to use a laser to remove the ectropian but I wasn't mentally ready as my mind had been all over the place up until then.

If my ectropian starts bothering me too much then I will ask for it to be treated.

So our stories seem similar and I hope my experience/outcome gives you some relief/hope.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply. I went to the gynaeo last week, had images of my cervix taken and a pelvic examination. They simply could not find a reason or cause which is just frustrating me now as it's still happening. He suggested if it continues to consider changing from my combined pill, but he said this can mess with my hormones and bleeding could still continue. I am reassured but just frustrated as I don't want this to be the new norm!