High grade dyskaryosis

hi Ladies,

i recieved my smear results today and it said high grade (severe) dyskaryosis, I’ve non stopped cried today after ringing the lady at colposcopy ward at the local hospital and asking her what the result meant, she told me to wait to get my appointment and they’ll assist further then when they know exactly what there dealing with. What does it all mean? is there a chance I’m going to die because of it,have chemo, radio therapy? whats the Colposcopy like? Does it hurt? I’m driving myself insane and cry even more when I look at my 2 beautiful babies, there so young and need me. What makes it harder for me to get is I’ve actually had no symptoms, no bleeding in between periods, after sex, increased discharge nothing so how is it high grade severe? I don’t understand it all. Sorry for the rant but I hope someone can help me understand. 

Steph xx

Hi .

I was in the exact same boat as you a couple of weeks ago. 2 previous smears totally fine then this one saying severe dyskaryosis. I didn' eat or sleep all weekend and I also have 2 children under 3 so I was just a mess thinking the worst. I had my colposcopy a few days later and they performed a LLETZ procedure on the abnormal cells. The anaesthetic injections do sting at first but then you can' feel anything. 

That was a week ago today so I've got a while before I receive any results but the colposcopy consultant said she wasn' too worried and has been doing it 30+ years so that made me feel better. It' Still a worrying time and I feel sick 24/7 with worry but once you've been to the colposcopy they can start to deal with it. 

Good luck  x

Thank you for your reply kstar, I spent all night on google ( bad idea I know) I just want to get my appointment through ASAP, I’m so worried about it all x

Don’t panic! Its completely normal to feel like you do. So many people on here feel the same. I had a completely unexpected abnormal smear result -  no symptoms of anything concerning, never missed a smear etc. I have two kids under 4 and convinced myself I was going to die. 

I had my colposcopy and the nurses were lovely. My results showed high grade cgin so I had extensive lletz 2 weeks ago. Got my results today and they are happy they got everything in this treatment - it feels so much better knowing its being dealt with. Honestly, the waiting for colposcopy and not knowing is so hard and you drive yourself mad but try not to fear the worst. The screening is designed exactly for this purpose to (hopefully) pick things up before they become something to worry about xx

Hey! Sorry to hear your having a bad time but don't worry I have literally just been through it all. About a month ago I got the same letter high grade (severe) dyskaryosis I to also cried. I rang my nurse at the doctors and she reassured me what would happen and not to worry its PRE changes so left untreated wouldn't be the best!

1 week later I got sent to the colposcopy and they took 2 biopsy's (which didn't hurt) they told me to cough when she snipped because you don't feel anything which is right!

3 weeks later I got my results to confirm its definitely high grade CIN 3 and a date for treatment which I had just got done on Wednesday the 31th January. The Dr was so lovely and helped you through it all she told me my biopsys came back no cancer detected and all the other test I had done where negative!

So treatment was local anesthetic on your cervix which btw does NOT hurt a bit believe it or not after that she done the LOOP within seconds it was all over, she sealed it all inside which you also don't feel with heat thing so you don't bleed. I couldn't believe how quick it was all over. I have to wait for these results to make sure nothings going on further up then it's 6 month smear and if thats okay 3 years! I was scared but having supportive people around me and having in my head that if this was left and later in life I'd be sorry got me through to not be scared it potentially saved my life for the future!

I know it's easier said than done not to be scared but try not worry to much its all pre changes and you've unfortunately got high grade but it does NOT mean you have cancer now, good luck for when you get treatment i swear it's over in seconds. I'm resting for a couple days a little sore but everything will be fine!!

Hi, sorry to hear that you're going through this. I've found everyone's stories and advice on here so helpful so thought I'd add my experience. 

I had a routine smear in early December (no problems before) and was so surprised/a little terrified when a letter two weeks later said the sample showed high grade dyskaryosis. I had my colposcopy appointment just before Christmas - the hospital staff were so lovely and really put me at ease. I've now had the LLETZ treatment, which was fine and I'm just glad I went for my smear and that it's getting sorted. As someone else said, for me the time waiting for the first appointment really was the worst part. I know it's easy to fear the worst but these cervical changes are quite common and it's best to find it all earlier rather than later to be on the safe side.

Hope you get your appointment soon x