High grade severe dyskaryosis- Coloscopy next week

Hi everyone 

I am 25 yo and have a daughter who is 8 in 2 weeks! I had my smear results yesterday informing me of high grade dyskaryosis with (severe) in the middle, also a letter to an appointment for a coloscopy next week Thursday. Is this quick after having smear results? I know people who have waited over 2 weeks, my levels being so high is worrying me. From research I believe my whole cervix may be covered with these cells. Does cancer get picked up with a smear? 

My smear was uncomfortable to the point I had to ask her to stop, breathe through it and continue. I am dreading a coloscopy. I have high anxiety from an abusive relationship the thought is so daunting I was almost in tears with my nurse previously. I am filled with worry and feel sick 

chels x

Hi Chelsie,

Hope you're doing ok xx

I got my appointment through for a week later but had to postpone due to heavy period. I think it's like a Postcode lottery with the colposcopy departments and you got lucky (I know it doesn't feel like it!). At least you don't have an extended agonising wait before you hear what the next step is.

RE detecting CC at a smear test I don't know, I was actually wondering the same thing myself. 

There's is no point in me saying don't worry because it's natural to. Stay strong x

Hi Chelsie. I can really relate to your post and that’s why I want to put your mind at ease. I also got my smear results 2 weeks ago with high grade dyskarosis and severely abnormal cells (cin3 highest grade). I would have had to wait up to 6 weeks for an apt on the nhs so decided to go private and had my colposcopy done today. I’m literally through the door. The doctor and nurses could not have been nicer. I was an absolute wreck in the waiting room but they made me feel comfortable straight away. The first thing the doctor said to me was “the important thing is you’re here and I’m going to sort you out, because even though it says things like severe dyskarosis and highly abnormal cells etc it is very treatable”.lots of women get these cells due to the HPV virus which we carry within us. He started the exam with one nurse sitting beside me the whole time and the other beside him. I was even able to watch Ona monitor which I politely declined ;). He inserted a metal thing ( which honestkybwas more comfortable than when they do a smear) and then he told me he could see the bad cells and that he would perform a lletz procedure whereby he lasers all the bad cells away. To do this he gave me some local anaesthetic (which felt a wee bit uncomfortable but just for a split second). He also cut away about 2 cm/s of my cervix which he will send to the lab for a biopsy. The whole thing took no more than5-10minutes and he told me that he was very confident that he removed all the bad cells. The biopsy will hopefully confirm this. But what I want to say is that I have been worried sick the past week about this appointment and now that it’s over I wish I hadn’t worried so much. Now that the local anaesthetic has worn off I’m a wee bit uncomfortable but only a tiny bit of cramping, like period pains, and I have to insert a wee antibiotic for the next 5 days. The also say to wear pads for a week or so as there may be some bleeding or funny coloured discharge (due to the dye they insert to see the bad cells change colour). 

You say you are worried because you have been in an abusive relationship and I’m so sorry to hear that but I think the best thing you can do is tell them of that fear because they are there to listen and they will support you all the way and it always helps to get these things off your chest. And you will see that the actual exam/treatment is over so quickly and you will walk out of the hospital with a weight lifted off your shoulder and feeling very proud of having gone through with it. I promise you. Maybe you can take someone with you for moral support, that really helps. They won’t be in for the actual exam but you will have lovely nurses by your side during that time. The doctor also said to me it’s so good that these things are picked up because they can be dealt with and then you will be monitored a wee bit more closely for the next while. 

I wish you the very very best for you appointment and know that I’ll be thinking of you and if you want to ask me anything please do. I know it’s early days for me too, I’m hoping to have my biopsy result next Friday and have taken next week off work to just rest and spend time with my girls and hopefully stay positive.

hugs

corinna