High grade abnormal smear…scared!!!

I had my smear test just over a week ago, I had hpv in my last smear a year ago but no abnormal cells so wasn’t worried and thought it would have cleared this time. I had a phonecall from the hospital this morning saying they had found high grade abnormal cells and that I needed to be seen within 2 weeks for a colposcopy! They had an appointment free tomorrow so I took it but I’m absolutely terrified and can’t stop thinking about it! :weary:

Hi Clare

That’s really good they have been able to get you seen so quickly.

I had a colposcopy and Lletz 5 weeks ago under local and honestly it’s not all that bad, i felt comfortable with the kind staff they were chatting away and made sure i was ok throughout they even offered to hold my hand for the local. I have another in 3 weeks and even though it’s not ideal, i know what to expect so I’m not worried for the procedure itself.

I wish you the very best for tomorrow have something nice for breakfast and take a chocolately treat for after

X

It’s great that they are seeing you so quickly m you don’t have to worry for long. The colposcopy they’ll have a closer look at your cervix and apply some solutions to see if they need to take a biopsy or potentially do lletz. Both they can do whilst your awake with local anesthetic with your consent. They can if you don’t want the lletz awake do it under GA but obviously this requires a another wait for that date etc.

I had lletz 1 week ago. I had mine under GA, as I have issues with tolerating speculum (unrelated issues), so it was the best option for me. And all is okay just waiting on the results but I’m expecting it to be okay and for them to say they got out all the high grade change cells.

I recommend taking your own period underwear/pads with you as if they do need to do either of these you may get some spotting etc. And although they have ones on offer they are usually very thick and uncomfortable.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I had the colposcopy today, she said from what she could see it was more than likely CIN2 or CIN3. She took a biopsy today and was going to do LLETZ but because I told her I was going on holiday in 2 weeks she didn’t want to do it incase of infection etc. and said it would ruin my time as I won’t be able to swim or anything. So although I know I can enjoy my holiday I kind of wish I could have just had the LLETZ done today :weary: as I now have to wait 4-6 weeks for the biopsy results! It just all feels so daunting!
So glad you had a good experience…the nurses were really lovely with me too so it wasn’t as bad as I thought but dreading the LLETZ when the time comes xx

I know the wait is tough. But try and use your holiday to relax and put it to the back of your mind. It’s good they took biopsies from that they can decide if lletz is still needed based on what they show.

Lletz recovery is okay, I’m back at work etc. I can’t comment on having it done awake but from what people say the worst part is the local. After that you’re all nicely numbed.

Fingers crossed you don’t need the Lletz! But if you do loads of ladies on hear who have gone through it with LA & GA if you want to know more :slight_smile:

Enjoy your holiday

X

Thank you :blush: it’s just stressful having it hanging over my head but hopefully all will be ok :crossed_fingers:. I really don’t like the idea of the lletz but if it does the job then that’s amazing!! I will try and have a nice holiday and worry about it when I get back and know more!! Thank you for messaging xx