High grade cell changes in 12 months and waiting for LLETZ under GA

Hi all,
I am in the difficult period of waiting for biopsy results and trying not to worry but it is difficult. I have health anxiety and as much as I try to control it and be rational, I seem to be convinced that it’s going to be worst case scenario.

I have tested HPV+ since early 2020 (my first smear when they had started checking for HPV). I’ve had annual smears since and they were HPV+ / no cell changes until my latest test a few weeks ago. I got my results letter and a colposcopy appointment within a week where the doctor told me the smear came back as high grade. I was very anxious and upset and my appointment as I was not pre-warned that my partner would not be allowed in with me because of covid rules (despite triple jabbed/let flow negative). They took one biopsy which I found painful (it may be nothing for some women but I have a very low pain threshold!). They could have done LLETZ on the day but I found just the colposcopy and biopsy enough. If I had my partner with me I might have been brave enough to go through with the LLETZ. So the doctor said I could have the procedure done under general anaesthetic in 3/4 weeks time. The colposcopy exam looked like high grade cell changes too so I assume this is CIN3.

I am unsure as to whether they will arrange the LLETZ under GA straight away, or if they will wait for the biopsy result. Has anyone else been in this situation with high grade changes?

I’m trying not to worry but I keep thinking about what the doctor said and how maybe she was hiding the severity of the changes. I’m sure lots of people would feel like this in the same situation.

Feeling very alone as my partner is much more optimistic but I do have a tendency towards anxiety and thinking the worst.

Any advice/wisdom appreciated!

@WorriedWorm i had my first abnormal smear reported this year. I had HPV + abnormal changes which where CIN3, they did take biopsies as a precaution as they said they couldn’t see all my cervix and wanted to make sure all was ok. Biopsy was clear and was just as they saw CIN3, removed with LLETZ last Friday and now just wait and see. Try not to worry and I hope everything goes ok for you x

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I am glad your biopsy came back as expected and you’ve had treatment. How did you find the LLETZ and are you feeling ok now? I am nervous waiting for mine. X

I found it ok, I was much more anxious getting the colposcopy and biopsy done. The injection was a slight nip but other than that was all ok. The dr and nurse where both great. I’ve been totally fine, only a wee bit of bleeding today and that was the first, so far so good x