high grade abnormal cells and pregnant

Hi all I have not been diagnosed with anything yet but a friend recommended trying this site. I got results of my first smear, I'm 28, and it showed high grade abnormalities. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and they want me to go for a colposcopy at 12 weeks. I'm up the walls, terrified about what they will find, terrified about the pregnancy, just scrared in general. Anyone else been through this while pregnant???

Hi there…I don’t have any experience of going through this whilst pregnant but just wanted to give u a hug! Any reason why u have to wait til 12 wks for ur colposcopy? Another 6wks seems a long time to wait.x

Thanks for response Lulu. They won’t give me a colposcopy until 12 weeks for fear of miscarriage. I’m just freaked, I want the test done right now but then I feel guilty for even considering risking the baby . I feel like I’m gonna be told the worse and I just can’t sake this feeling of panic

Oh bless u that must be so scary when you’re pregnant :frowning: I know it must be horrible having to wait so long but try to put it out of your mind if u can! Try to just concentrate on your baby and all the excitement that comes with it. It is very unlikely anything bad will be found and the treatment for cin is very quick and simple.
I know being pregnant is a scary time anyway without throwing this into the equation and you’re bound to have a lot of worries going through your mind! I hope the time goes quickly for u and you don’t get yourself too worked up about it (for that little beans sake aswell!)
Bex xx

What a scary time for you! To hear you have high grade abnormalities is terrifying, but being pregnant must add so many dimensions to it, I can’teven imagine. When I had my LLETZ and the margins did not come back clear, I discussed a hysterectomy with my GP because the stress of having to go through everything again was just doing my head in. One concern I had was that I might be on the waiting list for months and months because even if I found a GYN who would do the surgery, it would be considered non-urgent elective surgery. My GP reassured me, saying that cervical cancer was very slow growing, and that even if I had to wait 12 months, it should not be a problem. So don’t worry about the time issue too much. From all that I’ve read, even if you waited til after bub was born, your condition in regards to the abnormality would not have progressed very much, if at all.

I know it’s easy to say, and very hard to do, but please try not to stress about this too much. It isn’t good for you and it isn’t good for bub. Do what you can to distract yourself. All the worry and angst in the world right now won’t change a single thing in the slightest, so read your favourite book, do a crossword, play a computer game, or whatever it takes to get your mind off the worry.

Wishing you nothing but the very best great big gentle hugz

Thanks for all the replies, am having good days and bad. Some days I can put it to the back of my mind and others I just cry at the thoughts of it being bad

And that is perfectly natural, lee. It’s a horrible rollercoaster, and all we can do is take a deep breath, hold on tight and go along for the ride. Hang in there. You will get through this! hugz

Hi Lee. I was diagnosed with severe dyskariosis in early pregnancy. I was monitored throughout the pregnancy & had smears every 3 months. The plan was to remove the abnormal area once i had given birth. However, a few weeks before my due date, following a smear i was told that the area had changed & now looked suspicious. My baby was induced & i was told that i would need a radical hysterectomy. 2 weeks after the birth i had a lletz procedure which showed stage 1a1 cc. The radical hysterectomy was never mentioned again & i had a knife cone biopsy 2 weeks later as the margins had been close. I was told that it was rare for this to happen & i had been unlucky :frowning:

Thanks so much for that annabella I havent been able to find anyone else that had this happen with pregnancy

Hey Lisa,

Glad you put a post up here as the ladies are great on this site with info and reassurance. Hope you are feeling ok. As I said to you before, the waiting is the worst in this but try keep yourself busy if u can and 6 weeks will fly in. I had my radical hysterectomy 6 weeks ago and it feels like yesterday! Xxx

Hi hunny…

I had an abnormal smear in January and follow up lletz for cin3 in Feb. I conceived in march this year so my baby is due in January 2013. I thought nothing of being pregnant as I was told that after lletz is be ‘cured’ and wasn’t told not to try for a baby. When I went to midwife I explained about the cin3 abnormalities and lletz and she didn’t say much but the next day the colposcopy clinic called me and requested I go for a routine check up at 6 months pregnant. I thought it was abit odd… but I’ve just been for it and initially they said they just wanted to check me and then they could discharge me from their care… but once checking me they said they saw an abnormal area so I would need to come in six weeks after delivery of baby… its worried me but to be honest I just have to put it to the back of my mind and think of baby for now.

I also had some very heavy bleeding mid pregnancy… from 13-16 weeks. The gynae said that it was due to my lletz procedure.

Anyway slightly different to yoyrself. But I know how scared and worried you’ll be … oh and try both to Google too much info about ‘pregnancy and cervical cancer’ like I did because you will scare yourself and stress yourself out which really isn’t good for you in early pregnancy and until you have your check up after 12 weeks you won’t know anything… its likely they will just ‘look’ at 12 weeks , maybe check again mid pregnancy, then agree treatment after delivery. Hope that helps you x

Please help, I am 28, I have a 5 year old boy and Iv just found out I have suspected cin3 and im pregnant around 6 weeks. i have had two colposcopy's and punch biospy taken im now waiting for the results, im so scared all I think of is my little boy, I feel guilty for being pregnant when It could take me away from my son. I don't know what to do anymore, I suffer with annxiety and I have been prescribed diazpam whilst I sit and wait. All I keep thinking is how can I enjoy being pregnant and enjoy the next year of mylife knowing I have this inside and I will have to be sent in and out of colposcopy clinic to see if it's worse? my partner is very supportive but he's not going through this so he finds it hard ti calm me down. Please hellp, I hear all these stories of pregnancy making cells turn faster and become cancerous quicker, im so early in my preganncy that this is scarring me death. How fast can it all change in a year it's already looking at cin 3.. 

Lucy

Hi Lucy, I hope you don’t mind me commenting but I’ve just come across your comment from 2015 and wondered how you got on? 

I’m experiencing the same and been diagnosed with CIN and CGIN and currently just over 16 weeks. 

Im being discussed at multi disciplinary meeting next week in two areas now, 

Any information you can share of your experience if you’re able, id be so grateful! 

Thank you

x

Hi Hayley 

I'm going through this as well.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant, had an abnormal smear result. It came back as "borderline changes" but with high risk hpv. I had a colposcopy but they wouldn't take a biopsy cos I'm pregnant, the consultant predicted CIN 1 or possibly CIN 2.

I've been in bits to be honest. Some days am ok but other days I cry cos of the fear of it progressing quick before I give birth. It's really scary. I understand how you feel. 

Hope everything went ok for the original post!!!

Melissa X

How are you all? 
I have CIN2 and am now 16 weeks pregnant 

have a colposcopy booked in 2 weeks and pretty scared incase it's got any worse