Have I got worse? Convinced something is wrong

Hi all. I had my first smear test in September 2019 and it came back with abnormal cells and HPV so was referred for colposcopy. That came back with CIN1 and follow up in 6 months which has been delayed until July because of the pandemic. In March and this month I was spotting for a couple of days mid cycle. And then this period has been heavier, I've passed some large clots and am still bleeding on day 7 which is unusual for me. I've also passed some smaller clots too now the bleeding is lighter. I'm so so scared that my abnormal cells have got worse and I have cancer. I told my gp who thinks the spotting is down to the contraception I'm on (combined pill) and she gave me some high vaginal swabs last week - haven't heard anything since and the nurse who looked at my cervix said it looked ok although obviously the colposcopy is needed to know for sure. That's next week. I'm just so worried and scared :(

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear everything that you are going through it must be frightening, especially having to wait.

I want to reassure you that whilst I can't say for sure if it's got any worse but it's highly unlikely that you have gone from CIN 1 to cancer in that amount of time with severe symptoms. 

I had a normal smear test 4 years ago, and after my next test in 2019 I had stage 1a1 cancer, it was only a tiny tiny area and I had no symptoms at all. If it has progressed it will likely be super early and they will carry our treatment. 

I hope that gives you a bit of reassurance, I would Defintly talk to your GP about the clotting as that could be a sign of something else and maybe not the cell changes. CIN 1 can revert back to normal too.

i hope that helps and good luck for next week, I'll be thinking of you. 

Hayley 

Hi Hayley

Thank you so much for your response and yes you have helped my anxiety a bit. I really appreciate it. The clotting isn't completely abnormal for me, I normally have clots every cycle they just haven't been as large as they were this time. But yes I will deffo follow up with my GP and of course explain everything that has been going on at my colposcopy appointment next week.