Freaking out, 24, first smear, High-Grade Dyskaryosis

So I had my first smear just over a month ago (i’m 25 in 2 months) and to be honest I wasn’t expecting anything to come back other than normal because i’ve not had problems or anything. And the nurse said everything looks fine (but obviously her eyes are not microscopic).

I received a call last night from the hospital with an appointment for a colposcopy on Monday, so a whole week to wait. I called up the doctors surgery and the only information the receptionist could give me was that there was a dyskaryosis presence. Finally the doctor calls me this afternoon to confirm that it is high-grade.

So in the past 24 hours, i’ve been googling like crazy and reading lots of comments/stories on here and I do feel that it has helped to know what to expect etc. I know the likelihood of it being cancer is so slim but obviously as i’ve read on here, it does happen. It’s going to be a slow week waiting, I just needed to get this out because i’m a worry wart anyway but now even more so.

I was supposed to wait until Monday but I was going out of my mind with worry and I asked the hospital if they could call me if there was a cancellation. Thankfully they have got me in tomorrow so I won't be worrying over the weekend. It's such a scary time, I'm trying to be positive and not let my mind think too much about the what ifs. I'm so glad my partner will be there to hold my hand.

Hi Stacey,

I hope today went ok!

Let us know how you got on, I got the same result from my smear and have Lletz Monday under GA as I had meltdown when they tried to do it under local.

X

Hi there.

i had the dreaded Letter confirming I had moderate dyskariosis. I've been invited for colposcopy in a couple of weeks. 

anybody got any good coping mechanisms to get through this awful wait? I don't know how I'm going to go on for two weeks with the worry. 

many questions - I wondered if anyone could tell me what they do at the colposcopy. Do they always take biopsies? 

I am so petrified and feel like my whole world has collapsed. 

Zoe 

Colposcopy is like a glorified smear (from my perspective). They put a dye on your cervix to identify the abnormal cells and very often remove the cells there and then with lletz under LA. Sometimes they just take a biopsy.

It really depends on what they see on the day and whether you opt to go for GA instead.

People recommended music to me but I opted GA as I hae needles, but a lot of people cope with LA just fine.

Totally understand how your feeling. I only registered with this forum yesterday but found reading other people's journeys really helpful. I had my smear around 4 weeks ago now. Was waiting for the results and expected them to be clear. I'm 28 and had my 1st smear at 21. First 2 came back clear. Instead of recieving my smear result I recieved a letter on the 9th directly from the hospital stating i had an appontment on the 15th June! Totally freaked me out! called the doctor and they were useless, just told me I had an abnormal smear. On the 10th June I then recieved my smear result which came back as severe dyskaryosis. This freaked me out even more. Seeing the word severe made this feel like I already had cancer! 

So I had my colposcopy on the 15th, was treating same day with lletz. I felt really comfortable, I had 4 lovely ladies in the room who all seemed to have a sense of humour which made me more relaxed, as wierd as that sounds! 

I thought after that i would be able to relax, and now it just feels like the waiting has only just begun! 4 weeks of waiting for the results, and 4 weeks of no bath, ahhhh! First thing I wanted to to after the lletz was have a bath! I literally have the date written on my calendar, 13th July I will lay in the bath and not get out until I'm a prune! 

Sorry im not much help but just wanted to know your not alone. X