First Time Nerves

Hi Ladies,

I turned 25 this year and had my first smear test at the start of this month. I got my results yesterday and it turns out I'm HPV positive and have some abnormal cell changes called 'high-grade (moderate) dyskaryosis'. The hospital have booked me in for my colposcopy next week, it's all just happening very quickly and feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure what to expect when I get there. I don't know anyone else who has gone through this before so I don't have anyone to talk to about their experience and what to expect. Also never stepped foot inside a hospital before and I'm already an emotional mess as it is just thinking about the whole situation, I'm probably highly likely to cry when I'm there. I find talking things through definitely helps which is why I thought I would write in this forum.

Thanks in advance for any advice! 
Eloise x 

Wow your health board area are on form.im still waiting 2 years later.great you are getting seen to so quickly.The procedure itself is nothing to be alarmed  about.takes about 10,-15 mins.the staff will put you at ease.and if the take a biopsy is a mere snip .all I felt and afterwards I had cramp period pains for a day or 2 then hopefully you wont need further treatment.good luck x

Hi Eloise,

Sorry that you find yourself here. I was exactly where you are now, last year! I'm now 26 and received my first smear test result at 25 y/o of high grade (moderate). You should be able to see the details of my journey in my signature, below.

I'm not too much of an anxious person but I think this process can knock anyone! I would say that the nurses and consultants I came across throughout my treatment were nothing less than brilliant. They clearly deal with very anxious ladies on a daily basis and they know how to put people at ease (which you can imagine is not easy!) 

I found the waiting for results to be the worst part to be honest - and I'm sure a lot of ladies on here might feel the same.

Please, if you have any questions - just ask.

All the best x

Hi Eloise,

I'm 25 yo and I had the exact same this year in September on my smear with HPV+. I was super super scared and anxiety like crazy, I phoned and spoke to a lovely lady on the helpline and that definitely helped me. The colposcopy was fine, I didn't feel the biopsy at all and just had a look up there for a short while. I had my LLETZ last week due to biopsy being worse than expected and have a current infection from the procedure. I'm such an anxious person when it comes to hospitals and definitely when you hear the word 'cancer' in any circumstance. If you want to message me about any of the process please get in touch, I barely slept for a week worrying before my colposcopy x

Hey!

sorry to hear you are going through this, but you definitely came to the right place, it's great to have the support and to vent to a bunch of women who are in; or have been in similar situations. 
Your feelings are valid, any time you have to have a procedure it is frightening and not knowing what is to follow with results etc is an anxious time. The colposcopy itself is not too disimilar to a smear, they have better equipment to look at your cervic and they use a microscope to get a better look at the cells.

If they confirm CIN or CGIN, they might offer a "see and treat" there and then and do a LLETZ or if they are unsure about they will do a biopsy. I can't speak to the LLETZ as I had a biopsy, which did not hurt, just a little pinch, I then went on to have a cone biopsy under GA.

All I can say is take deep breaths and the fact of the matter is, you have to do it. Going into it taking deep breaths and remaining calm if you can and just tackle it head on. You will be fine and you can always come on here for as much support as you need.

Good luck! Xx