First smear, abnormal cells, tilted cervix, scared!

Hi everyone! Any advice would be really greatly appreciated! 

I'm due to be 25 in January so had my smear last month as you can have them at 24 1/2. It was extremely painful, she had to take it out the first time as she realised I had a titled cervix so I had to put my hands in fists under my bum and push up. The swab itself didn't hurt but the manoeuvring to find my cervix was very, very painful. 

I had my results back yesterday and I'm HPV+ and have abnormal cells which in the letter say 'borederline changes'? I've been invited for a colposcopy at the hospital so awaiting an appointment now but I am absolutely petrified! This doesn't run in my family as far as I know and all my mum's smears have come back clear. I also have anxiety so I think I'm really, really overthinking it! You open a letter and see the word 'cancer' and just start to think the worst. I'm also super worried if I can't take anyone with me because of COVID and I'm really scared I won't be able to do it alone. 

Any tips for first time nerves? None of my friends have had this result so feel a little alone! Thank you so much xx 

Hi Ella,

I'm 25 and had the exact same smear experience with the fists under your bum and same results. I'd have a look on Jo's page and have a read about HPV. It doesn't run in families as it's transmitted through sexual contact (it is not an std either). 

I went to colposcopy on my own and was terrified. Take your mum or someone with you I suggest who can just wait in the car for you, that's what I did. They really are a lovely bunch at the hospital and really make you feel at ease. The colposcopy itself they take a closer look at your cervix (no hands under your bum this time as you'll be in a better position on the bed with stirrups) and they may wish to take a biopsy. I coughed so didn't feel this at all. Just a little bit of bleeding for about 2/3 days only. 

More than welcome to send me a message about it all as I know how many sleepless nights I had worrying. 

katie x

Hi

I also have a tilted cervix so can be a little awkward to get to. I was told by the colposcopy nurse to always ask for the smaller speculum. This really helped me and haven't had an uncomfortable smear since. I also tend to find at colposcopy they never seem to have a problem at getting my cervix (there're pros at it). 
Colposcopys really aren't that bad, I was petrified before mine and I really didn't need to be. 
Hope everything goes ok x

Hi Katie,

Thank you so much for the reply! I definitely think it's more the worry of not knowing what's going to happen but you've definitely given me a bit more insight into how it will be! And it sounds better being on the bed with stirrups so hoping it'll be less painful this time. 
It's the biopsy I'm a little worried about (as I stupidly google everything when anything is wrong with me!) so was worried about pain but I might do the cough trick that you did!

I really appreciate your message, thank you so much and I hope all is well :-) 

Ella x

Hi! 
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm definitely going to ask for the smaller one and see how I get on. I'm glad to hear you haven't had a painful one since! And yes that's true they do colposcopy's daily so hoping that they'll find it super easy!

Thank you for your kind words and I hope you're doing well!

Ella x