First attempted smear now for second

Hi
I had or attempted my first smear last year im 25 and a virgin. I have always been scared to have a smear test however even though im not sexually active i still booked the appointment as soon as i got my letter. I had a lovely nurse who talked me through the procedure aswell.

Unfortunately i couldnt bear the pain as the speculam went inside me, she took regular breaks and tried again but i was too tense. I had to lift my bottom up using my fists and she kept trying. I was so tense she couldnt even use a finger to examine me either. I never felt so embarassed luckily the nurse was so nice and knew when i couldnt bear it anymore and also i brought my mum to comfort me.

She told me i can rebook either when im active or when im ready, and said it might be a good idea to speak to the doctor and ask for temporary anti-anxiety medication for the next one. She also gave me jostrust to look at as im not the only one and its been helpful. Its been 9 months now and although im not sexually active i need to get it done id rather be safe.
Has anybody had a similar experience where they had a anti-anxiety medication to help them, does it work or hurt less.
Thank you