Advice please!

Hello. I’ve attempted two smear tests (for the first time) and ended up having to go home because I found it too painful. First was with a nurse who then suggested the doctor does it instead. I found the doctor so rude and threatening, it was like she was angry that I just couldn’t relax. It was horrible and I’ve been scared to try for a third time ever since (this was a year ago). I ended up leaving in tears both times.

I’m moving city next week so i’m going to try again, in hope that the nurse/doctor is nicer there. I have severe anxiety and had to wait around 40 minutes for both of my previous attempts which only put me on edge even more. I’m also not really sexually active as I’m asexual so I’m not used to being touched down there.

Can anybody give me some tips on how to relax so that it doesn’t hurt? I’ve seen a few people on here say ‘it doesn’t hurt as bad as you think it will’ but it was even worse than I expected. 

Hi Vitageclouds2,

Sorry you're having a bad time of it. I can understand why you're scared to try again. It's never nice having your lady parts messed about with, even when you are 'used to it'.

It's not easy to relax when you are scared. It's easier said than done. I have had smears where i felt fine and relaxed and it didn't hurt at all, and smears where it's quite uncomfortable and a bit painful.

All i tell myself is to take deep breathes, close my eyes, and keep reminding myself it won't be for very long.
If you're in pain, tell the nurse and they might be able to use a smaller speculum. Have a chat with the nurse beforehand and see if they have any tips or ideas for you during the procedure?

(Big hugs)