First Abnormal Smear - So scared!!!

Hi guys,

Im new and have just had my 3rd smear test (I'm 32), the first 2 were completely normal and now suddenly I have low grade dyskaryosis! I have also been tested for HPV and thankfully that has come back negative. The letter jsut said come back in 3 years!! However since my smear about 5 weeks ago now I havent had a period - Im on the mini pills so things are already very irregular but this isnt normal for me. I also have pretty constant lower abdominal pain, spotting and a bit of nausea so I'm very scared that something horrible is going on!

I have a doctors appointment booked for this Wednesday to get a bit more advise but I really dont want to wait 3 years for my next smear...what if something happens between now and then! Is there anychance I can request another one in 6 onths or a years time?

I'm just after some piece of mind really as I cant stop Googling every symptom under the sun and every possible outcome...its driving me mad!

Have you tried a Home pregnancy test just to rule it out? If that comes back negative stick with the drs appointment just for your peace of mind. 

Hope all goes well

I hope this helps.

My first ever smear came back as abnorma with mild changes, I was tested for HPV which came back as positive, so I was sent for a colposcopy where they look a biopsy and found moderate changes. I was told to wait 6 months and come back for a repeat smear.

Colposcopy just done they could find absolutely nothing and smear came back as negative for hpv and normal smear, so back onto 3 year screening.

The new NHS screening uses HPV triage as mild changes with no HPV are very very unlikely to change into cancer as HPV causes 99% of cervical cancers so people with mild changes and HPV negative return to normal screening as mild changes could be down to a number of factors.

Borderline and mild changes on a smear are now tested for HPV and if this comes back positive it's an automatic colposcopy referal.

From next year HPV will be screened on every smear even normal results.

Usually HPV infections go away on their own after 6-18 months, in some cases they do not and cause cervical abnormailities. 

If you are HPV negative you have a very very small change of your mild cells changing into anything more serious and the changes should return to normal on their own without treatment.