Finally met with Oncologist

Hi ladies!

I haven't posted since I was diagnosed, I had to wait a couple of weeks to get some tests in (CT and PET scan) before I could meet my new doctor. I went yesterday and met the team who will be taking care of me...around 5-6 doctors! They inserted a camera and showed me the tumor, measures close to 4cm and is touching vaginal wall so they staged me at 2a. It was a long day and a ton of information was crammed into my head:(. They gave me 2 options. Hysterectomy OR Radiation Chemo Brachytherapy. They informed me if I had the surgery, they would have to remove the top part of my vagina (about 4 cm) to get a clear margin and IF it all came back positive on the biopsy I would have to have radiation anyways which would shorten it even more. Basically I would have a dysfunctional vagina measuring 3 inches. That was a hard pill to swallow seeing I'm 25. The risks of radiation are great as well given my age but I decided to take that route instead of surgery. They booked me tomorrow morning to have my ovaries moved up, has anyone had this done and if so how was the recovery? They do it as an outpatient procedure but I had plans this weekend to visit my dad who isn't doing so well and that's a 3 hour drive I'd have to take tomorrow night. My mind is pretty blurry and I could use some friends especially going through the treatment, I'm sort of a hermit lol! I am on Facebook as Lucy Ford, profile is of me and my fiancé. I hope the rest of y'all ladies are doing well and staying positive. We just have to take it one day at a time!

Hi I just wanted to first send a HUGE HUG to you!! I've just been referred to the Gyne ward after doctors spotted what they think could be a tumour, so I'm just paying the waiting game at the moment. 

It sounds like you've really thought through the options, and only you will know what right to do. I know what you're saying about having down there not working properly at such a young age, i'm 26 and completely sympathise. Though I hope your fiance is being supportive and if it comes to that then has assured you that its not the be all and end all. 

Hope you're doing OK, feel free to message anytime xx

Hi Lucy :-)

I had surgery first, wasn't given any choice in the matter and they whipped out over half my vagina. I then had to have chemo/radio/brachy as well anyway which frazzled what was left. I was very resentful and upset about it but it's over five years ago now and I have got over it. Don't think hubby has though! I would strongly recommend jumping straight for chemo/rads/brachy without surgery first and then keep that vagina nice and nimble with dilators and lube.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Lucy, 

my ovaries were lifted up. On the second day I started to walk a bit, but in general it took 1 week to recover. I spend new years eve in hospital after this surgery :) 

Don't worry about surgery at all Xx