Feeling nervous for lletz results

Hi Ladies,

I've been reading posts on the forum for the past few weeks but decied to join today as I had lletz yesterday under GA. I wasn't too nerves about the tratment itself and to be honest I was just glad I wasn't going to be awake for it.

A little background on me I've had I've had multipe repeat smears since my first smear at 20 12 years ago, so many I've lost count. 2 colposcopy appointments the second in May 2018 which located abormal cells that could not be graded. Got called back for lletz under a local, when I got to the appointment the nurse went through my results and also informed me they had found CGIN (unclear if high or low grade). Due to my anxieties at previous smears and the CGIN she suggested that I have the treatment under a GA which I agreed to.

I had the treatment yesterday and so far so good hardly any bleeding and no pain, don't know if these worst to come....but I'm sure I'll cope if there is.

Now my thoughts have turned to the results which I was told should be with me in 2-3 weeks, the doctor told me the results would be discussed at a consultants meeting but when she came to see me I was still pretty drowsy so didn't fully take it all in. Should I be worried that they are disscussing my results before they even know anything?

My biggest concern is the fact that I'm 32 and yet to have children I know I shouldn't but I've read stuff online and I'm really worried they won't have got all CGIN or my absoult worst fear they'll suggest I need a hysterectomy! I know I'm over thinking (I have a habit of doing that!) I'm the type of person that likes to know the worst possible outcome and then worry myself silly about it. Totally irrational I know but it's how my brain works. 

I don't really know what answers I'm expecting from this post, I guess I'm just looking for anyone that's been in a simular postion. 

Hi Nikki_23!

I am in kind of a similar situation as yourself, I had my first smear in February (25 at the time) it came back with cin3 so I went for a colposcopy and lletz at the same time, in March.

They rang me a couple of weeks later to say they also found cgin in my biopsy results and they discuss the best course of action at the next mdt meeting which was April. They rang me the day after the meeting to say they decided to put me on a 4 month 'watch and wait' and I'm back at the hospital tomorrow for a follow up colposcopy and possibly more treatment.

This could be the same as yourself, especially with you having such a long history, I heard it is standard practice with cgin to discuss options at the monthly mdt meeting before doing any other treatment (although I'm not sure how true this is).

But I wouldn't worry, you are in the best possible care and they probably just don't want to do any more treatment if it's not necessary which is what they will discuss at the meeting.

Hope it all goes well for you, keep us updated xxx

Hi Beth,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Even though I've had multiple smears and a colposcopy before I think the cells have always changed back by themselves, there was even one occasion I'm sure I went back to the routine smear every 3 years.

What I find most worrying is the fact CGIN can be higher up the cervical canal, so if these no clear margins from the lletz last week then I guess they'll want to do another one in the not so distance future. The one positive was that apparently I have quite a good size cervix (sorry TMI) so I suppose if they need to do another then hopefully there'll be plenty left. 

She was also very understanding about the fact I want children in the future so she was reluctant to take away more than necessary. I guess I'm just really concerned they'll want to remove the cervix completely or worst....

I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow, let us know how it goes. x